Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Dometic Toilet won't fill

I have a new Dometic toilet - not sure what the model is. I know it is about 17 inches from the floor to the top of the bowl. It has a foot pedal on the right side. No rinse hose. And the bowl appears to be porcelain.

What I know is that it stopped working today. I thought I ran out of water since I was running with the pump. I now that isn't the case. I since refilled the water tank and hooked up to my water. I have also confirmed that I am getting water to the toilet as I disconnected, then turned the pump on and collected full water pressure from the unhooked hose.

The hose that runs from the foot pedal to the top of the bowl where it connects can be squeezed very easily - it appears we are not getting water to here as I depress the foot pedal.

I suspect something happened to the pedal. Are these serviceable parts? and/or replaceable? What should I/can I do to further my troubleshooting. If I have to replace, is it worth getting the porcelain or other?

Thanks for helping answering all the questions in advance.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Where the incoming hose connects there is a plastic screen in that cavity that could be blocked by residue. Use a toothpick to see if you can scrape out that residue from the cavity. This is a common occurrence. This is predicated upon you having a Dometic 300 series type toilet and the foot pedal is on the right as you are looking at the front of the toilet (on the left when in use). Model number would help if this does not cure the issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Most likely crud in the filter at the inlet. If you have crud there, you will most likely get some in the shower and the sink faucet screens.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

I am not sure of the model but will check the inlet when I go back next weekend.

I will also by a replacement valve for the 300 series - I can return if not used / needed. Just trying to line up a solution so I don't have to live a water jug for next weekend. Could be worse I guess.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Toilet Not Filling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Most likely crud in the filter at the inlet. If you have crud there, you will most likely get some in the shower and the sink faucet screens.
I had the same problem on my first outing with my new Forester RV. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that a valve under the"dresser" was turned off. That was strange as the toilet worked for three days before it stopped. Then two outings later it stopped filling again. Took it back to the dealer and they told me something involving the foot pedal was broken and they ordered a repair part. A couple of more outings and it stopped again! This time I removed the toilet and found that the screen that would filter out particles was completely clogged with what looked like ground up plastic! I reversed flushed the toilet and put it back on. I investigated whether or not something was in the fresh water tank and found that it had a filter which was 100% clean. I forgot to mention that both faucets on the sink kept getting clogged up with the same media.

After the third clog I installed a bidet filter ahead of the water going in the toilet and after about 10 days of use it too clogged up. I then ordered on Amazon a filter that had a spin off clear bowl (like they used to filter the gas lines in the 40's). I have had to clear that sediment bowl only once and it now appears that all of the media that was in the lines has now been removed. Lastly, when I tried to drain the water out the drain lines were also clogged and they would only drain when I used the water pump to pressurize the system.

I am confident that the problem was the rig was delibertly sabotaged at the factory by an unhappy employee. What the dealer told me the problem was for the two times they "repaired" it was a lie.
Mr. Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

The toilet model # will be on a sticker located near the floor on the backside of the toilet. It is easier to use the camera on your phone to take a pic of the label than to become a circus contortionist on the floor trying to write down the numbers. Don't ask me how I know this Then you can go online with this info to obtain the necessary trouble shooting hints.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #7

Poor Toilet Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I am not sure of the model but will check the inlet when I go back next weekend.

I will also by a replacement valve for the 300 series - I can return if not used / needed. Just trying to line up a solution so I don't have to live a water jug for next weekend. Could be worse I guess.
We had the same thing happen. You almost certainly do not need a new valve if the foot pedal seems to work normally. But you need to remove the valve to clean the screen effectively. First remove the water line. Then two screws hold the valve in place. Bad news is that these screws go in from the rear - you can't see them and our rig has a soffet concealing a furnace duct running behind the toilet, blocking access to the screws. I had to remove the toilet to get the valve out. Then you can reverse flush the crud out of the valve.

Why didn't Dometic design easier access to this screen? Accessible from the front or side. Why didn't they make the screen area greater so it would tolerate more crud before quitting? Why?

Bigger question: Where is this crud coming from? Could it be drill chips left in the fresh water tank when it was assembled?
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Site Team

If you open the low point drains and a faucets, you will drain the water heater through both the hot and cold lines. Especially on the cold water side, you can suck some of the anode crud into the cold water line. The next time you use the system, it will push it through the system and into the filter screens at various points. It is best to drain the water heater through the anode rod or drain plug ( depending on the model you have).

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Thanks for all the ideas - I will have a part available if needed but will try clean first for grins - can't go wrong there. Since I am ordering the part from Amazon, I can return no questions asked.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Site Team

I would keep it. You never know when you may need it down the road. At a minimum you could be someone's hero at the campground some day.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 10-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would keep it. You never know when you may need it down the road. At a minimum you could be someone's hero at the campground some day.
Not a bad idea - 30 bucks won't break the bank - I hope.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #12

Problem solved - as stated earlier - the water line going into the valve was restricted with some sort fine sand like substance. Easy to clean out and working like a champ now - thanks all.

Tags
dometic