Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Double galley sink draining very slowly

I really need help on this. Running out of options!

Have a new 2013 Sunseeker 3100. First time out...a five month stay in Florida in it at our location there. (We used to have Jayco.)

Double sink in the kitchen drains very, very slowly and backs up from one to the other. Problem is worse when water is in one sink for washing and then stopper is removed. Water runs from faucet better.

We clean dishes before we wash so it isn't debris.

Have talked to Forest River and they have been useless. Have tried normal things myself (will detail) and have had certified FR onsite service folks here twice for messy day long fix it attempts. Problem persists.

I have tried:

opening and subsequently closing both the gray tank and black tank valves to drain into the sewer. No change in situation.

(BTW: Is there a second "galley drain valve" and if so, where is it?)

plunging the sink using various methods. No change in situation.

used vinegar and baking soda. No change in situation.

used gallons of boiling water. No change in situation.

made sure motorhome is level.

Techs tried:

making sure roof vent was working properly. No change in situation.

plunged and snaked the line. No change in situation.

replaced some pipes (with better slope) behind oven and fridge. No lasting change in situation.

checked the under sink vent. No change in situation.

BTW: There was a brief period of improvement before it started to act up again.

Techs now feel:

That the problem is construction material infiltrating the pipes beyond the fridge where the galley drains into the gray tank. Obviously that means a very messy and distructive day in our "home away from home"...with no real gaurantee that the issue will be resolved.

How I feel:

I still think the issue is in the galley area only. Have not used any liquid plumber or such yet...or replaced the vent valve top. The drain from one sink to the other seems awfully level to me btw.

So, is there a second galley drain valve that I haven't accessed? Is liquid plumber or something like that effective? Are there any other solutions prior to having even more of a brand new motorhome gutted? I'd even go as far as making one sink disfunctional except for drying...if I knew how to do that!

Not happy with my purchase or Forest River, but just trying to get something fixed.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

bluesman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
You have a very unusual problem, sorry about that. I don't think that the RV people recomend liqiud plumber. I am sure that I read that but don't remember why. Again sorry and Good Luck.

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
If the tech thinks that the pipes are plugged further along. I would remove trap under sink and use a plumbing snake to remove the blockage. Another solution would be to hire a plumber and have he/her use a scope to check the pipes. If the pipes are blocked they can remove the blockage without tearing the trailer apart. If the tanks are not full and the water is draining slowly it is one of two reasons. A plugged line or poor vent (no air behind water). You could also try and remove the under sink vent to see it the water will flow faster. If removing the vents helps you can purchase a new vent at any hardware or plumbing store.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote