Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Drain stopper in bathroom sink suggestions

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but the sink stopper in some of the bathroom sink tubs is particularly awful. When removed, you have a huge ring-eating hole in your sink. When installed, no water can drain. Is there a version that sticks 1/4" above the drain that can be installed? One that goes up and down to open and close the drain? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Pictured below is the style of drain plug that I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31zPV9K21LL.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	191249  

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L V8 HEMI
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

I took that stopper out and put in a small screen cup from Lowe's. They also sell a small stopper that would work with the screen,
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I took that stopper out and put in a small screen cup from Lowe's. They also sell a small stopper that would work with the screen,

A screen would work, however I was hoping not to have to swap every time I wanted to plug the drain. Having one or the other on the counter is not ideal (and kinda gross).

I suppose I'm looking to keep the stopper inside the drain at all times and be able to pull it up & down like my bathroom sink at home. My home bathroom sink uses friction to hold the drain open/closed.

The kitchen sink drain in the same RV uses the standard home strainer that you twist 90 degrees to open/close. Why not something on a smaller scale for the bathroom?

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 11-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

As i said, they have a small stopper. It would work with the screen still in place.
Andersen hitch
Old 11-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but the sink stopper in some of the bathroom sink tubs is particularly awful. When removed, you have a huge ring-eating hole in your sink. When installed, no water can drain. Is there a version that sticks 1/4" above the drain that can be installed? One that goes up and down to open and close the drain? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Pictured below is the style of drain plug that I have.
Did you turn your stopper after lifting? There is a notch to hold the stopper up enough for water to drain.

Name:	20170709_171159.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	191322
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Search for “LASALLE BRISTOL 65SPR1303”

It is very inexpensive.

This drain assembly has threads long enough to work for those thick RV sinks, or it can be used for thin sinks. The stopper holds its position with two “springy” plastic pieces that keep it in place with friction. The tailpiece portion of the drain has a built-in plastic strainer about 1-1/2” down from the top flange, so you can’t lose the smallest of rings.

I can suggest other, more expensive drain assemblies used for residential installations, but for an RV, what I have suggested is really all you need.

Bruce
Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Not sure what you're looking for but we use these at home in stoppers that we have the hair catching stoppers installed.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B7VNV...9-cb1ec01c90a7
Another alternative might be one of these
https://smile.amazon.com/Strainer-Ca...+stopper&psc=1
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
As i said, they have a small stopper. It would work with the screen still in place.
These are what I used. Simple, but effective:

https://www.amazon.com/Keeney-PP820-...ds=Sink+screen

https://www.amazon.com/Hestya-Stoppe...+stopper&psc=1
Andersen hitch
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Sink strainer

Quote:

Even though ours has the ability to stay half opened, I don't mess with it. I only keep the plug in while stored. When I am camping, I remove the plug and drop in a drain screen. I keep the plug in the medicine cabinet in case someone needs to fill the sink with water and also to make sure it doesn't get lost.

Darn those upside down photos lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181113_081012.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	191328  
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Did you turn your stopper after lifting? There is a notch to hold the stopper up enough for water to drain.
Attachment 191322

Yes, I did. The drain hole in the bathroom is smooth and contains no notches or outcroppings to catch the plug. It just falls in freely and plugs the drain, no matter what position.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Search for “LASALLE BRISTOL 65SPR1303”

Thanks, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for! A plug that stays in the drain but can also be lifted up and down to easily plug and drain the sink tub without removing it and setting it aside.

The only thing better would be one that fits whatever size hole is already there!

The rubber popup and down strainer looks like a great invention too, but I don't think it could fit the small size and concave shape of the RV bathroom sink.

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint!

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #12

You can replumb the sink with a different vanity faucet that includes the pull up and push down drain rod. It requires a different drain setup like a regular house has, that works with the drain rod.
I did that with our bathroom sink. The factory setup just had a stopper that was either in the hole, or not.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #13

Quote:
A screen would work, however I was hoping not to have to swap every time I wanted to plug the drain. Having one or the other on the counter is not ideal (and kinda gross).

I suppose I'm looking to keep the stopper inside the drain at all times and be able to pull it up & down like my bathroom sink at home. My home bathroom sink uses friction to hold the drain open/closed.

The kitchen sink drain in the same RV uses the standard home strainer that you twist 90 degrees to open/close. Why not something on a smaller scale for the bathroom?
The stopper in our TT sink works exactly as you describe-part up (10mm or so to drain, or remove entirely if desired). May be available at an RV dealer.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, drain, roo, sink