Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

No way it would work with my Suburban (even if I did not need an anode) either.
That handle would just get in the way when turning. How did you solve the door being in the way?
I used the smallest valve possible with a plastic twist handle. I removed the handle for installation and reinstalled it afterwards. Not sure what you mean by the door being in the way, I used pipe just long enough to turn and install the valve and still be able to shut the door.
Of course all this was done back when we were pulling a pop up with a minivan and draining the water heater after every trip to save weight. The camper we have now has the anode rod and we leave it full of water the whole camping season.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
I used the smallest valve possible with a plastic twist handle. I removed the handle for installation and reinstalled it afterwards. Not sure what you mean by the door being in the way, I used pipe just long enough to turn and install the valve and still be able to shut the door.
Of course all this was done back when we were pulling a pop up with a minivan and draining the water heater after every trip to save weight. The camper we have now has the anode rod and we leave it full of water the whole camping season.
Just trying to picture in my mind how little distance there is in my Suburban water heater between the drain hole and the door. There would not be very much room for a ball type valve of any kind.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #13

I have an Atwood water. The plug is easy to get out using a socket on a 6" extention. Just slide socket, on extention under gas line onto plug. Give plug a rap or two with teflon tape to prevent leaking. I keep extre plugs in my box just in case.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #14

[QUOTE=herk7769;283281]Ball valves come with on end threaded NPT and can go right in as well.
Do (NOT) buy this 3/4 inch valve,Atwood (6 & 10) gal. units use a 1/2 NPT thread on the Drain! Youroo!!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #15

Wow!! Thank you all so much for the information and ideas! Being new to camping in a Travel Trailer I am finding this board to be a wealth of information and collaboration. Again, thank you all very much!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

If you reduce the drain opening(Which is what you are doing by placing any kind of valve or Gizmo in the outlet)! This restriction will keep most of the (White Crap) as well as scale and other flakes of unknown origin in the tank,to later show up in the kitchen faucet,bathroom faucet,and outside shower. Yes the valves will drain the water,but leave behind (Crud)! There is no filter on the output side of the water heater. This applys to both makes of heaters Atwood & Suburban. Youroo!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Do (NOT) buy this valve,Atwood (6 & 10) gal. units use a 1/2 NPT thread on the Drain! Youroo!!
Whoops! Not owning one I was just looking for an example of a threaded valve.
I will fix my link.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
292 bhds, 292bhds, freedom express, drain