Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #1

draining hot water tank

I have a 2017 sunseeker 24'. I want to drain the hot water tank to winterize. Any tips on removing the plastic drain plug? It seems near impossible to get at it

Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyboy View Post
I have a 2017 sunseeker 24'. I want to drain the hot water tank to winterize. Any tips on removing the plastic drain plug? It seems near impossible to get at it
Since you said you had a plastic plug, I will assume you have an Atwood water heater rather than a Suburban water heater. I use a 1/2" drive ratchet with a 15/16" socket and a 6" extension. Open the WH door and let it hang down. Come in from below the burner tube and control nearer the bottom of the heater just above the hinge. It is a tight fit, but should be doable without further disassembly. Make sure it is cooled off before you start .... no point in getting scalded.
.....Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Good info Swampy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

I have a 26RR, I just went out for the first time last weekend. I opened the low point hoses and then all the sink, shower and toilet valves until the water stopped. I then opened the spring loaded valved on the water heater and water started flowing again.

Is that drained enough? Most of the water came from the cold water hose which is at the bottom of the tank.

Also, should the trailer be level when draining?

The book just says "drain hot water heater" with zero instructions on how to do that.
pohlcat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #5

You need to pull the drain plug
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

First, I'm really glad that I do not live in an area where I would need to drain the water heater due to cold weather. Second, I have had a pet peeve for years when someone calls a water heater a hot water heater. And IF there is a book that describes the appliance which heats water a hot water heater then I feel that the people responsible for writing this book are wrong in their description.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
First, I'm really glad that I do not live in an area where I would need to drain the water heater due to cold weather. Second, I have had a pet peeve for years when someone calls a water heater a hot water heater. And IF there is a book that describes the appliance which heats water a hot water heater then I feel that the people responsible for writing this book are wrong in their description.
you will be glad to know the book does not use the word hot in that phrase!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You need to pull the drain plug
So I found the book for the water heater, says to pull the anode and replace every year.
No instruction, maybe it's labeled and obvious. It's in storage now so I can't go check.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

pholcat01, you have a Suburban water heater. You will have to remove the anode rod which is on the drain plug so you can inspect the anode and flush the sediment from the rod that settles in the bottom of the tank. Depending on the mineral content of the water going through the wh, you may have to replace the anode every year or two.

I've had 3 rv's with a suburban wh over the years and never had to replace the anode rod.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
pholcat01, you have a Suburban water heater. You will have to remove the anode rod which is on the drain plug so you can inspect the anode and flush the sediment from the rod that settles in the bottom of the tank. Depending on the mineral content of the water going through the wh, you may have to replace the anode every year or two.

I've had 3 rv's with a suburban wh over the years and never had to replace the anode rod.
I just found a really good post on suburban water heaters. Included a pic and I see it is very close to the power switch and it provided wrench size as well.
I should be good to go, thanks!

Tags
drain, hot water, tank, water, water tank