Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Draining the water heater

I have a couple questions about draining the water heater. When I had my pop up I would just take out the anode rod and let it drain out that way. On my hybrid I opened the fresh water tank valve and took the caps off my low point drains and let the water run out. After that I took out my anode rod and there was barely any water in it. Does the fresh water drain or low point drains also empty the hot water tank?

Also, are campgrounds fine with me emptying my fresh water tank and hot water tank at my campsite?
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You can drain the water heater for the most part by opening the low point drains and cracking a faucet... BUT... I DO NOT recommend doing it that way.

We have seen far too many reports here of folks with white crud in their lines/faucets.
I believe most of that comes from the water heater. It gets sucked from the heater tank into the lines when draining, where some of it remains and then gets pushed back into the system on re-pressurization.

Your best bet is to first release any pressure on the system, bypass the water heater and remove the anode. Crack the T&P valve (pop-off) to allow the water to escape better. While the anode is out, flush any sediment from the water heater tank. There is a flush tool made just for this.

I can't comment on you draining your system at a campground.
Everyplace has different rules.
You might ask even though it is simply water.

As a side note... I do not drain my water system after each trip. Once I dewinterize in the spring, nothing gets drained till fall. been doing this for more years than I care to admit with no issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

You should have drained your HWH through the anode rod as you used to do rather than opening the low point drains first. When you open the low point drains first, you drain the HWH backwards through the cold water inlet line. This sucks the white crude from the HWH back into the cold water line. It will then end up clogging your faucet aerators and toilet valve the next time you use your rig.

Campgrounds (and campers) typically don't like you putting large quantities of water on the ground at campsites. Would you want to be the next guy into the site if the guy who left 3 hrs before you dumped his FW tank or HWH on the ground?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Thanks for that advice, I hope I didn’t mess up my water lines. What if I run my gray tank full, then run the toilet until my fresh water is empty, then empty the water heater? I keep my camper at a storage lot.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

There's really no need to dump your FW tank or HWH after every trip; just do it at the end of the season.

I keep mine in storage, but I bring it to the house to sanitize the plumbing in the spring and to winterize in the fall.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You can drain the water heater for the most part by opening the low point drains and cracking a faucet... BUT... I DO NOT recommend doing it that way.

We have seen far too many reports here of folks with white crud in their lines/faucets.
I believe most of that comes from the water heater. It gets sucked from the heater tank into the lines when draining, where some of it remains and then gets pushed back into the system on re-pressurization.

Your best bet is to first release any pressure on the system, bypass the water heater and remove the anode. Crack the T&P valve (pop-off) to allow the water to escape better. While the anode is out, flush any sediment from the water heater tank. There is a flush tool made just for this.

I can't comment on you draining your system at a campground.
Everyplace has different rules.
You might ask even though it is simply water.

As a side note... I do not drain my water system after each trip. Once I dewinterize in the spring, nothing gets drained till fall. been doing this for more years than I care to admit with no issues.
This way! Youroo!!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

Thanks for that advice, I hope I didn’t mess up my water lines. What if I run my gray tank full, then run the toilet until my fresh water is empty, then empty the water heater? I keep my camper at a storage lot.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I drain my hot water tank after every trip never have an issue with foul smelling water. I flush also when I pull the anode rod. Have does this for 30 years. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
No need for that. Just drain the HW before you ever worry about the low point drains. Do things in this order (if you really want to drain them):

1) Turn off electric on the HW tank if you have it.
2) Pull anode, drain.
3) Open FW tank, drain.
4) Open Low points, drain.

But, we fill ours in the spring (actually on my list of to-do's tonight, I'm running behind this year) and don't drain anything until we went winterize it in the fall (October). Never had a problem with water sitting in the tanks. As long as you're out, say, once a month at a minimum then it should be fine. If you're out every other weekend like us, definitely no problem.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Canadian Member

All good advice provided above. I will drain my water system if the trailer is going to sit for much more than 2 weeks without use. It may not be necessary but I prefer not to have stale water sitting in the system for too long. By stale, I mean water with little residual chlorine to prevent growth of bacteria. We don’t drink the water but we shower in it, wash our faces with it and brush our teeth with it so we likely do injest some. So I take the extra precaution.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
I have a couple questions about draining the water heater. When I had my pop up I would just take out the anode rod and let it drain out that way. On my hybrid I opened the fresh water tank valve and took the caps off my low point drains and let the water run out. After that I took out my anode rod and there was barely any water in it. Does the fresh water drain or low point drains also empty the hot water tank?

Also, are campgrounds fine with me emptying my fresh water tank and hot water tank at my campsite?
I drain our FR tank after every trip,,, but I do it @ home !!!
Would not want to make a mud hole for the next family !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #12

Important Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
No need for that. Just drain the HW before you ever worry about the low point drains. Do things in this order (if you really want to drain them):

1) Turn off electric on the HW tank if you have it.
2) Pull anode, drain.
3) Open FW tank, drain.
4) Open Low points, drain.

But, we fill ours in the spring (actually on my list of to-do's tonight, I'm running behind this year) and don't drain anything until we went winterize it in the fall (October). Never had a problem with water sitting in the tanks. As long as you're out, say, once a month at a minimum then it should be fine. If you're out every other weekend like us, definitely no problem.
Before you remove the anode, use the pressure relief valve to relieve the tank pressure. Guess how I learned about that step!!
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
Before you remove the anode, use the pressure relief valve to relieve the tank pressure. Guess how I learned about that step!!
HAHA. I did too. On my previous StarCraft, I had the nylon plug. I never had to release pressure before emptying the HW tank. I learned real quick that I need to release pressure first on the Rockwood.
Den69RS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #14

Quote:
that's what the outside shower is for.
Wait till you pull that stunt with a 40 gal home WH.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #15

Sure did clean the scale out of the heater.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Before you pull that pressure release valve or pull the anode rod...

Make sure the water in the heater isn't hot!

Unless you want second or third degree burns on your hands, legs and feet!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:

lol I learned that on my pop up. I actually turn off the water pump and turn in the hot water on one of my faucets. That seems to relieve the pressure.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
lol I learned that on my pop up. I actually turn off the water pump and turn in the hot water on one of my faucets. That seems to relieve the pressure.
That is not the same thing...

The only way to release the pressure is to use the pressure release valve!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
lol I learned that on my pop up. I actually turn off the water pump and turn on the hot water on one of my faucets. That seems to relieve the pressure.
That will have the same effect as flipping the pressure relief valve.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That will have the same effect as flipping the pressure relief valve.
But it won't drain out the crud floating on the top of the water in the heater...

And it won't release the air bubbles, either.

Tags
drain, heater, water, water heater