Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #21

Smile camco water filter.

jeeplj8 Tnx I will look into that filter.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #22

I like that idea also. Makes a lot of sense to me. Going to try it next year.

GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #23

I used that filter all year. Will buy a replacement for the new season. I use it also when I fill our fresh water tank. Mainly use it to insure sediment from the park hookup do not get into the TT water system. I still have the whole unit filter in the trailer as well. But we do carry drinking water since we are never certain of the park(s) water systems.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #24

I know this isn't what the OP was asking, however when we are camping anywhere where the water quality is questionable, whether its chlorine or brackish water, we fill a large stock pot (approx 2 gal) and boil it (covered with a lid) for approx 10 minutes. Usually done in the evening before bedtime, now we let it sit covered all night till morning. During this time most sediment will precipitate and bacteria will be killed. In the morning careful decant the water thru a Brita (thats what we use) the water comes out sparkling clean and tastes great! Keeps the trailer warm on a cool evening too! Great when boondocking as this water is only used for consumption not washing!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I know this isn't what the OP was asking, however when we are camping anywhere where the water quality is questionable, whether its chlorine or brackish water, we fill a large stock pot (approx 2 gal) and boil it (covered with a lid) for approx 10 minutes. Usually done in the evening before bedtime, now we let it sit covered all night till morning. During this time most sediment will precipitate and bacteria will be killed. In the morning careful decant the water thru a Brita (thats what we use) the water comes out sparkling clean and tastes great! Keeps the trailer warm on a cool evening too! Great when boondocking as this water is only used for consumption not washing!
It would be, in my opinion, a lot easier to just use a backpacking filter. No waiting required. Pump a gallon every 1 to 3 minutes.

In North America and Western Europe, for example, you just need a ceramic filter small enough to filter out Giardia. 0.1 micron I think. In third world countries use ceramic filters impregnated with iodine. If you want to drink the water before the iodine has disapated I have heard that using Vitamin C tablets disolved in the water will remove the iodine taste.

I have the PUR backpackpacker flter. Katadyn has bought out PUR, but the same model is available but probably under a different name than backpacker.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

Wouldnt packing water would be MUCH simpler and cheaper than the past 2 post. I don't really drink water much when camping(usually other cold beverages that I pack in) but we always carry a couple cases of bottled water for the dw and guests, and a couple gal. water ( less than a buck a gal.)for tea, coffey and such.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #27

OP here, thought I had better report back.

Much depends on your usage. Last year we camped over 6 months this year three months. We use about 1 gallon per day for tea coffee, cooking and drinking, so thats 180 and 90 gallons respectively, too much to fetch, carry and store, so for a charcoal filter that costs $20 and is good for 500 gallons is a no brainer IMO.

The Camco filter does not state how many gallons it is good for but it's charcoal and the same size as my under counter one so my guess its also good for 500 gallons. Since it fits in the supply hose it filters all your water. We dump once a week 3 tanks of 34 gallons, one is full, one 90% and one 70% by my estimate, so say 90 gallons a week so the camco filter will last 5.5 weeks. So at $20 a filter thats $50 for 3 months and $100 for 6 months. So for us it makes no sense in paying $100 to filter the chlorine taste out of shower, flushing and washing up water.

We love the under counter filter for us it makes great sense, it's convenient, economic and tastes great.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Wouldnt packing water would be MUCH simpler and cheaper than the past 2 post. I don't really drink water much when camping(usually other cold beverages that I pack in) but we always carry a couple cases of bottled water for the dw and guests, and a couple gal. water ( less than a buck a gal.)for tea, coffey and such.
In my experience, we consume about 5 gallons of water per person per day. In my TT, now replaced by my new Solera, it has (had) a 40 gallon tank. I carried an additional 42 gallons of water in containers. Plus 3 casses of bottled water. That was just enough for a long weekend. Carrying more than around 80 gallons in a TT or a class C becomes difficiult. With a filter I ahve all the water I want, if there is flowing water nearby.

The last time I measured my water consumption it was 88 ounces in 24 hours. Plus coffee, milk and fruit juice here and there.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #29
Oklahoma Proud

Good deal nigels! Glad you found just what you needed.

Popbeavers- I guess you must do some really remote camping. Guess you are talking about drinking water from streams/creeks and such.

We always camp with at least water and electric. I'm out on "roughing it" anymore than that, I guess from my army days!

Always a learning experiance about how others camp!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #30

Live in ohio out in the country been drinking well water for 30 years no probloms people around here have outside well spickets hang a old tin cup on it and everyone drinks out of the same cup without washing so i do not think water that you put in camper has to go as far as you people think just drink it. Maybe if more people got a little of the junk that si in water we would not be sick all the time our body would be able to fight things