Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #1

Drinking water idea

Has anyone tried one of these?

Culligan RV-EZ-3 Undersink Water Filter Kit with Faucet - Culligan International RV-EZ-3 - Water Filtration - Camping World

I am tired of lugging jugs or having tea and coffee tasting of chlorine, I have discounted Brita equipment the they don't make an under counter and the faucet type seems to me pointless to filter washing up water.

Any comments greatly appreciated. Thank you

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #2

CAMCO Water Filter (Walmart/Camping World) has a hose spigot to RV waterfilter. It will filter your entire water system not just "drinking" water. You can also use if if your filling up your fresh water tank.
Camco Water Filter with Hose - Walmart.com
Loader2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

Reverse Osmosis water system,they take up some room,but they work. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #4

The R/O system requires water pressure to work,so the good thing is you install a bladder tank and leave the pump on,or hook up to city water. Youroo!!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

APEX has a small one on sale: $259.00
Portable Reverse Osmosis - Premium Counter-Top, RO Systems & Drinking Water Filters | APEC Water

For the price/space/hookup hassles I'll stick with my CAMCO.
Loader2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Has anyone tried one of these?

Culligan RV-EZ-3 Undersink Water Filter Kit with Faucet - Culligan International RV-EZ-3 - Water Filtration - Camping World

I am tired of lugging jugs or having tea and coffee tasting of chlorine, I have discounted Brita equipment the they don't make an under counter and the faucet type seems to me pointless to filter washing up water.

Any comments greatly appreciated. Thank you
OP stated he didnt like the taste of Chlorine in his tea & coffee,Blue inline Walmart filter will not remove. Youroo!!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
camping

problem solved!! we also use a whole house filter to fill our 1 gallon water jugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer frog.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	21886  

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #8

Just installed my RO system in my trailer today, 5 stage system with a bladder and works like a charm. Just as pure if not better then most bottled water out there.
RedHotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #9

No way we would use any water source from the trailer to drink. Any idea what kind of plastic or what chemicals leach from the tanks or lines?

Bottled water to drink and to make coffee. Campground water to shower and wash dishes. At least dish washing is hot water.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
OP stated he didnt like the taste of Chlorine in his tea & coffee,Blue inline Walmart filter will not remove. Youroo!!
That filter contains carbon which does remove chlorine, bad tastes, and odors. The carbon will exhaust after X amount of throughput...

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR28footer View Post
No way we would use any water source from the trailer to drink. Any idea what kind of plastic or what chemicals leach from the tanks or lines?

Bottled water to drink and to make coffee. Campground water to shower and wash dishes. At least dish washing is hot water.
When you say bottled water I assume you are referring to glass bottles. Water packaged in plastic containers, it seems to me, has the same exposure to chemicals leaching from the plastic as the RV plumbing has.

I am not sure what is used in RVs, but the main water line to my house is schedule 40 PVC plastic pipe. I have been drinking that water since 1986. I am not sure what the water line material was in previous homes.

Many, if not all, homes today have copper pipes in the walls. Before they switched to copper they used galvanized iron. Galvanized iron, I believe, can result in zinc and rust getting into the water. Copper, I believe, is much more stable. These days the solder used for copper water pipes has no lead. I am not sure that was true when they first switched to copper pipes.

I am not too concerned about modern construction materials used in RVs. I find it hard to believe that the materials in the RV I just bought are somehow dangerous compared to the materials used in American homes.

When I go backpacking, I really don't have much of an idea about what is upstream from where I collect the water. I just filter it and drink it. I have never become ill from drinking water from any source or system that I have used.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
When you say bottled water I assume you are referring to glass bottles. Water packaged in plastic containers, it seems to me, has the same exposure to chemicals leaching from the plastic as the RV plumbing has.

I am not sure what is used in RVs, but the main water line to my house is schedule 40 PVC plastic pipe. I have been drinking that water since 1986. I am not sure what the water line material was in previous homes.

Many, if not all, homes today have copper pipes in the walls. Before they switched to copper they used galvanized iron. Galvanized iron, I believe, can result in zinc and rust getting into the water. Copper, I believe, is much more stable. These days the solder used for copper water pipes has no lead. I am not sure that was true when they first switched to copper pipes.

I am not too concerned about modern construction materials used in RVs. I find it hard to believe that the materials in the RV I just bought are somehow dangerous compared to the materials used in American homes.

When I go backpacking, I really don't have much of an idea about what is upstream from where I collect the water. I just filter it and drink it. I have never become ill from drinking water from any source or system that I have used.

x2

I do water filtration throughout the state and have tested many types of water. I wouldnt worry about it. Unless the water in the trailer is stagnant or has been in there for a long time without use. But if your living in it I see no problem. No difference then the tubing in most homes like said. Also water treatment plants can have water in large plastic tanks aswell. It may be an issue but I dont think its something to stress or lose sleep about.

2003 ccsb 2500 Chevrolet/Duramax- some goodies- Thanks to Copperhead Diesel.

2002 Kit Millenium 358

RedHotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Almost all new construction has pex pipe on pressure side with brass and copper fittings/ connectors. New water mains in our area are going in with the green pvc. Sewer side in buildings is pvc.

My 5er has pex presure side it looks like same as my house, but w/ abs drain pipes.
I don't drink much water when camping, but the dw drinks bottled water. And we use the blue in line filter that walmart and everybody else carrys.
Maybe a couple in lines- in line would help w/ clorine?
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #14

I have ordered one of these:

I will test it and let yall know how it turns out

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

I use the on board unit with a Rainfresh CF2 5 Micron carbon filter. Chlorine/ tase and odor removal. Same unit I use in the house except a smaller size. Never taste chlorine or any smell and our house water has quite the chlorine taste and smell as I haul water from the next town and it is chlorined to the limit.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Please photo document the install as a separate thread under plumbing and I will create a copy of your install in the FAQ section. I for one will be following your progress.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
I have something like this on the home system, except it is a two-stage cartridge, one for charcoal and one with filtration media. Happy with it.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Please photo document the install as a separate thread under plumbing and I will create a copy of your install in the FAQ section. I for one will be following your progress.

Sure will do

Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Ive found that using baking soda flush after the chlorene flush will eliminate the chlorene taste in water.. martin73
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader2001 View Post
CAMCO Water Filter (Walmart/Camping World) has a hose spigot to RV waterfilter. It will filter your entire water system not just "drinking" water. You can also use if if your filling up your fresh water tank.
Camco Water Filter with Hose - Walmart.com
This looks like a genius idea to me.

The only water filter have in their home is inside their fridge, which is the same type of filter here.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote