Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
KFP

Drip, Drip, Drip

A 30 day veteran to RV life. My new to me 2004 SV 261 has a drain line without a valve that starts dripping as I pour in H20 to the fresh water holding tank. The indicator on board shows 3/4 full. A few hours later... empty. No other valves are leaking. First is this an overflow tube and secondly could my indicator just be off? I don't see how that much water could leak so soon.
KFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

Not entirely sure what you are asking here.

Have you tightened the cap that is dripping? I am assuming this is your fresh water drain cap...

Just a thought, I have replaced all of those caps with ball valves so I don't need to un screw them anymore and just turn the handle...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP View Post
A 30 day veteran to RV life. My new to me 2004 SV 261 has a drain line without a valve that starts dripping as I pour in H20 to the fresh water holding tank. The indicator on board shows 3/4 full. A few hours later... empty. No other valves are leaking. First is this an overflow tube and secondly could my indicator just be off? I don't see how that much water could leak so soon.

I do believe that it is an overflow tube. secondly no, your indicator is not 'off' by what it sees.

There should be a fresh water drain valve under your fresh water tank. Do you see it?

The 'overflow' should have no 'valve' on it to let it breath. imo, you are filling the Fresh water tank to fast and the air is not escaping fast enough, creating a type of suction. Your indicator of 3/4 is right.... your tank is bloated and only has that much water in it and is also ex sponging water out the over flow tube.

Do you have a covered bottom that covers your water tank? Is that water tank inside the unit or under the floor boards?

1) Get to where you can view the whole Fresh water tank.
2) see where the over flow/ breather hose is going. Did part of it drop farther down into the tank.
3) I was having the same type of issue and my Dealer said the tube had slipped down into the tank and worked as a suction line. He told me that he fixed it by taking out the hose and putting in pvc piping and connections at the top to the tank so that it will not fall back into the tank or bend over and level out the 'p-trap'.

4) be very very careful if you put a 'shut-off' valve on that overflow tube as it needs to be open when you fill the tank and also as you use water out of the tank. The last thing that you want to do is blow out your tank or some of your water lines.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
KFP

The tube in question is a relief pipe. The low point pipes have a screw cap and do not leak. The question was based on the seemingly constant slow drip of water when fresh H20 was added.

Thanks for the input!
KFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

I'm following now... Awesome info Brother Les!

KFP, try using one of these..

Water Tank Filler - Camco 40023 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

I use one and fill the tank plumb full without any issues...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I'm following now... Awesome info Brother Les!

KFP, try using one of these..

Water Tank Filler - Camco 40023 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

I use one and fill the tank plumb full without any issues...
I can not use that on my unit. My Fresh water fill is a standard water hose connection (beside it is the 'city connection'). I had to connect a hose to fill my Fresh water tank.

My 'Problem/issue/ what really ticked me off was that if I drove somewhere and could not park with in a hundred feet of a water line.... I had no water... it had mostly drained out.

My solution:
I bought an exact copy of my units water pump and two short hoses. connect to unit/hose/pump/hose/7gal fresh water can. run 12v power off batt. drains water can in about 5 minutes. there is a 'check' valve built into the unit that must be in there or (from what I have been told) turn the inside water pump on and water will blow out the fill connection.

imo The engineering (the for thought) of some of the features on this unit is very lacking......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote