Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Dr Travel

Dripping from cold water line

Okay, my wife uses a back stretching thingy that means she has to lie down on the pad we are on. As she is laying there, she looks under the fifth wheel (Rockwood 8280 Signature Ultralight) and sees these two plastic colored tubes extending out from the underbelly seal with caps on them (see photo) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	78850

The red one (which I assume is the hot water line) is dripping. Never had this happen before. It is a slow drip. Only happens when the hot water tank is heating with propane. We've been in this location for about a month. The caps seem tightly sealed, but did not want to mess with them without asking the questions first.

Is this normal? If not, what is wrong and how do I fix it?
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

Those are your lo-point drains. No it should not be dripping but I don't think the cap is the culprit. If you look inside in the area where they pass through the floor you should find shut-off valves. I would expect the hot water shut-off is either not fully closed or is leaking slightly. Those pesky valves can be located in some tight places! Mine are under the tub, accessible only through a 8X8 hole and are at arms length! Just my 2 drachmas....
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
WFD

Is the trailer new to you? Did you winterize it last? In any event it may just be that they aren't on there tight enough...perhaps last person just snugged them on...try tightening a touch...not lots as they are just plastic and don't need to be real tight.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

turn off water pressure. open faucet to bleed off pressure. go out to water heater and open lever at top (TP valve). CAUTION WATER WILL BE HOT. use an oven mitt or let cool first. leave lever open till all water drains. close valve, repressurize, and fire heater. check for leaks. logic: air column at top of WH allows for expansion of water when heating. not that this connection in not the weak link, its the conditions when leaking thats suggests this might be an appropriate action.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
Just a member

The tubes (low-point drains) are there to drain the water from your plumbing system in preparation for winterizing. Typical culprits associated with the caps leaking is dirt and/or sludge that interferes with the cap's sealing surface. Or it could be that it's just not tight enough. Be sure to relieve the water pressure before you unscrew them!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Dr Travel

Bought it new in August, never had a problem before with this. Plastic caps are on there tight - would not try to tighten it more than it is for fear of stripping threads...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Dr Travel

Will try that today thanks. It only leaks when we crank up the hot water heater so logically it sounds like your trouble shooting would work.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

I could be wrong, but I think the plastic caps are just dirt/dust protectors. After, removing the pressure from the system, I'd unscrew them and see if they come off. I believe you will then find a valve that can be tightened or un-tightened.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

My low point drains do not have valves. The caps have a rubber washer in the bottom make sure it is clean and sitting flat. Tighten them back on and see if it still leaks.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #10

My low point drains do not have valves either.

Steve
2013 Palomino Gazelle G215
N8OCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

is it actually leaking at the cap or is water trickling down, following the line from up above somewhere?
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #12

Had the same leaking issue when dewinterizing my unit. Turns out when I added water this year the leak started. The cap had been replaced, put the rubber washer was missing on one. Tried to find replacement washer at both HD and Lowes, which carry Plex tubing, with no success. Went to True vale hardware and they matched it up a washer that goes in the end of a supply line to a bathroom faucet. The faucet fitting has a similar cone shape as the one lost on rv. With a bit of Telfon tape., problem solved. A post in the formin indicated, caps might be ubique. To the RV industry.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water