Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Dumb sewer drain hose question.

So we had our second weekend at our new to us trailer on a seasonal site. We noticed that the sewer drain hose was cracked and spewing everywhere when we dumped our tanks.
Looks like replacement drain lines are either 10' or 15'. Ours measured exactly 12.5'. So, given that, do we need a 10' that will stretch to fit or is 10' the absolute maximum extended length and we therefore need a 15'?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnerb View Post
So we had our second weekend at our new to us trailer on a seasonal site. We noticed that the sewer drain hose was cracked and spewing everywhere when we dumped our tanks.
Looks like replacement drain lines are either 10' or 15'. Ours measured exactly 12.5'. So, given that, do we need a 10' that will stretch to fit or is 10' the absolute maximum extended length and we therefore need a 15'?

Thanks.
I would go with the longer hose. I would rather have more than not enough.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
x2
I actually carry 30' (10' is xtra, 20' is connected) of sewer hose. May never need that much, but I've read enough on this forum to carry it.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
x2
I actually carry 30' (10' is xtra, 20' is connected) of sewer hose. May never need that much, but I've read enough on this forum to carry it.
Fully agree!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

The length of a hose is fully extended. A 10’ will most likely not fit. For long term you might want to put the hose in a piece of pvc gutter or 1/2 of a 5” pipe to protect it and aid with drainage.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #6

Ok, thanks all. I'll go 15. I just didn't know if it would sag if it were too long. Sounds like that is not an issue. This is our first TT and first issue with it, so I've never actually handled a sewer line before to know how tight the ribbing is etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
x2
I agree... you can never have too much sewer hose onboard.

IMO.. if the sewer hose is stretched out tightly it is at it's maximum
venerability...easily punctured or cut by sharp rocks or debris.

The better you protect your sewer hose by keeping it off the ground, don't over stretch it, stored in a container or safe place, and keeping it clean... the longer and better it will serve you.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Longer is better, I had to buy another hose a couple of months a go because at one site I was at my old hose wouldn't reach. I think it was a 10'.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Ok, thanks all. I'll go 15. I just didn't know if it would sag if it were too long. Sounds like that is not an issue. This is our first TT and first issue with it, so I've never actually handled a sewer line before to know how tight the ribbing is etc.

this could be a good time to look at the "Sewer Solution", ... you might like what you see, ... 5yrs, 3 trailers, never used the slinky hose at a full hook up site, ... its simply a macerating system that uses a water jet to break up the solids and pump the waste away, instead of an electric pump w/gears that can run hot, jam, ect. ...

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...sewer+solution

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

I have 4 ten foot sections and have used them. Never know in travels what you may need. Also have 3 fresh water hoses, 2 writers and a 50 footer and used all that.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks.
As long as your are seasonal, you might look into just replacing the hoses with PVC pipe. You can cut it to any length you want and you'll never have to worry about getting holes again.

This

+ This

or This:

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
Gold Tee Box

I keep two hoses both 15 feet in my rear bumper (with a coupler if needed) but seldom have had to use more than one. If you go too long, it will coil up on you, hard to support, and just not drain well when you dump tanks.

From all the campsites we've been to, 15 feet will fit well with your other hookups on site for water and electric.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

I use the lippert waste master hose. I really like the cam lock feature, a lot more secure and the smooth lining on the hose doesn't trap waste inside. It's good for 20 feet, I carry a20 foot extension but have yet to use it.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, so another dumb question from a complete newb. This is the style and brand that is currently on the trailer. Do I need to re-purchase this whole kit, or just a new hose and the original orange couplers will be able to attach to it?

Rhino Flex RV Sewer Kit, 15-ft. | Canadian Tire

A PVC setup is in my future I think, but for now, I'd like to just get it up and going again.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, so another dumb question from a complete newb. This is the style and brand that is currently on the trailer. Do I need to re-purchase this whole kit, or just a new hose and the original orange couplers will be able to attach to it?

Rhino Flex RV Sewer Kit, 15-ft. | Canadian Tire

A PVC setup is in my future I think, but for now, I'd like to just get it up and going again.
They are mostly universal.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #16

I was going to share that the "Rhino-Flex" hoses come in 10', 15" and 25" lengths. I have the 15' length and I bet it really would be at 17' if I pulled it straight out. After several different hoses over some years I like this Rhino hose the best.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Camco Rhino and Valterra Dominator are both good “traditional” hoses and both .23 mil thick. The Valterra Viper is .25 mil and should be more durable. I have the Valterra ez-couple with an adapter as a back-up. My main drain so to speak is the LCI Waste Master. It is as bullet proof as a flex sewer hose is going to get. I have not had to use my backup yet as all FHU sites were under 20’ to the dump. I did have to use my 50’ water and extra 25’ electric at the MyOldKentuckyHome State Park. 40’ to water 45’ to juice!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #18

need at least 30 feet. One for 20 feet and an extension of 10 feet. There are times when the dump area may not be on the right side of trailer, thus requiring, the dump hose to be extended under the trailer. Also, get a clear 45 degree hookup to your gate value area to check on flow rate and quality of discharge
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

I keep about 30 feet of rhino flex... This weekend I actually had it break on me right at the sewer end fitting... Lasted 12years (got it when we started to camp in our popup). Think I got my money's worth...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
YEP!

Tags
drain