Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Dump or hold?

Been having to go camping by myself lately. Wife and kids busy with work and school.

Knowing that the black tank should be dumped only when it's full, is it better to fill it up with fresh water and dump it after every weekend trip, or is it better to wait and let it fill up on its own over the course of several weeks. I use the little blue pouches as tank treatment. Seems like a waste (no pun intended) to dump those so frequently when my own contribution to the blank tank is so little during a weekend. How long can you go without dumping before the situation becomes too putrid and gross?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

We fill our tank up every 7-8 days and empty when full. If you use it for a weekend and then it sits until the next weekend when it's used again that would be ok in my book. I would, however, dump after the second weekend.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
Been having to go camping by myself lately. Wife and kids busy with work and school.

Knowing that the black tank should be dumped only when it's full, is it better to fill it up with fresh water and dump it after every weekend trip, or is it better to wait and let it fill up on its own over the course of several weeks. I use the little blue pouches as tank treatment. Seems like a waste (no pun intended) to dump those so frequently when my own contribution to the blank tank is so little during a weekend. How long can you go without dumping before the situation becomes too putrid and gross?
You don,t say if your moving or stationary! Makes a Big difference in regards to "Tanks" I would NOT Tow with a 1/2-Full Tank! Most of the supports and Tanks are NOT made for This! Do a Search on "Tanks falling out" and most of them are Clear Water think what a MESS you will/might have! Youroo!!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

I think it simply depends on a particular lifestyle. I always dump whenever I can, because I don't want to be caught needing to travel on the spur of the moment, or to travel in an emergency with a tankful. Also, I want to be able to have use of the camper at home should my home power or water utilities fail. I would say whatever works is OK. It's certainly always best to dump often and get those solids out, and kill any odors. But some might say you waste water by filling up prior to dumping. To each his own....

It took me so long to post that I didn't realize others had posted also. All valid points.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

Moving. Every weekend or two I'll tow 100 miles or so to the closest (decent) campgrounds. I think I'll take both of your advice. The tank ought to be about1/2 full after every couple trips, so I can just dump after every other trip. Course if the family goes, I'll dump after every trip. Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #6

We dump every time we move (unless it was just a quick overnighter). Don't want to haul all that around. So we fill with water and dump. Dont know how hot it is in Arkansas but here in NM I definitely wouldn't want sewage sitting for several weeks if the rig wasn't being used every day.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We dump every time we move (unless it was just a quick overnighter). Don't want to haul all that around. So we fill with water and dump. Dont know how hot it is in Arkansas but here in NM I definitely wouldn't want sewage sitting for several weeks if the rig wasn't being used every day.
X2
Leaving the tank partially full will allow solids to sink to the bottom of the tank and jelly up.

The water will evaporate out the stack which would then allow the solids to turn into a large unwanted brick.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You don,t say if your moving or stationary! Makes a Big difference in regards to "Tanks" I would NOT Tow with a 1/2-Full Tank! Most of the supports and Tanks are NOT made for This! Do a Search on "Tanks falling out" and most of them are Clear Water think what a MESS you will/might have! Youroo!!
I tow my TT to the dump station when it's full granted it's no more than a mile. That trip is probably more bumpy than most trips on public roads. I've had to tow mine full down the highway a couple times and haven't had any issues.

If you have the option I would dump sooner but sometimes you don't have a dump facility close by.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote