Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Dumping station small water hose only how do I backwash

Hello new to rv world I am at my first state park where I will eventually have to go to a dumping station when I leave. I noticed each station only has a smal hose my rv has a connection to the back table with a regular garden hose to rinse the black tank. So with this small hose I can't do it so how do I clean out the tank really well, is there like an adapter to go from a small hose connection to garden hose?

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Typically, the hose at the dump site I to wash down the dump site after dumping. One's own supplied hose is used for connecting between spigot and RV. That has been my experience.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Unless you're the only person at the dump station without a line of others behind you, I'd suggest forgetting doing your tank maintenance such as a through flushing at a state park dump station. Take a 5 gallon bucket or two, drain your tank and dump a few buckets of water down the toilet to flush it out. Its much faster and probably does a much better job. A busy dump station with a line of rigs behind you is not the place to be taking extra time using a tank flusher.

Here in PA a lot of state parks have removed all threaded connections at the dump stations as people using tank flushers, which 5 years or so ago were almost non existent, became a huge problem by tying up the waiting line.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

No there is no threaded spigots only a hose like I said that had a smaller nozzle connection that is threaded I thought maybe I could get an adapter to go to a bigger hose. Thanks for the info I'll just flush the toilet with any fresh water I have left thanks

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 06-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Hi,

Look for a Camco Water Thief. It is an adapter that will let you insert the smaller hose into a fitting that will hook up to your standard flush inlet.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

Look for a Camco Water Thief. It is an adapter that will let you insert the smaller hose into a fitting that will hook up to your standard flush inlet.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

While not related to the OP's question, this is exactly one of the issues I have seen and was referring to. On a holiday weekend at a 250+ site state park how long do you think it would take if every person using the dump station used their tank flush? People would still be waiting at midnight.

The park management purposely removed the threaded connections and you know it, out came the water bandit fittings this past Memorial day, requiring the rangers to get involved and stand there all afternoon. Better yet, One Sunday we watched a guy pull out a 100' hose from his storage and hook his tank flush up to the potable fresh water supply faucet on the opposite side of the entrance.......Nice. Really nice for the person who came in and filled their tank later that day.

I have nothing against using the tank flush at a dump station, just as long as you don't have others waiting behind you. If you're there all by yourself stay all day and flush away. Its just an etiquette thing. MAybe a pet peeve because I have been in that line too many times.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

If there are others waiting behind me I wait and do my flush at home. I have a 6" cleanout next to my driveway so its easy for me to do.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

Hi

Mr. Havercamp's point is well taken, and in fact I don't flush if there is a line behind me either.

But the original poster's problem is a real one at some stations where the fittings are non-standard. Hence my mentioning the availability of a adapter.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

Absolutely I agree if there is a long line I wouldn't do it but I am at letchworth state park NYand around check out time I see no one by the dumping stations and plus there are three lanes. Thanks for the replys

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I can't understand how hooking up a flush hose would contaminate a faucet....all have backflow valves on them....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I can't understand how hooking up a flush hose would contaminate a faucet....all have backflow valves on them....
Well they would be using a hose that was previously hooked up and handle at a dump station! Or the hose could have been stores with the dump hose.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Well, there is stupid...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

NY State Parks dump stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
Hello new to rv world I am at my first state park where I will eventually have to go to a dumping station when I leave.

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
You will find that all NY State parks are not the same. E.g. at Selkirk there is a threaded hose all set to hook to your clean-out. At Long Point, there is a threaded outlet to which you hook up your own hose. Others have no threaded connection.

Regardless, you have been given good advice on whether to use the clean-out. I always leave at off times so I can utilize this feature and with a clear elbow connection I can tell you it does a very nice job.

Some of the parks pick up garbage from your site and even deliver firewood. All depends on who's running the park and what kind of staff they have.

At the last park we visited the red cap (park volunteer) told me the park manager does not enforce the generator quiet hours rule in the non-electric section if the generator is a quiet invertor type as they're not much louder than the roof top A/C's in the electric sites. Other NY parks do enforce this regardless of whether anyone complains.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #14

Lot's of campsites with full hookups. I would look for one of those.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Lot's of campsites with full hookups. I would look for one of those.
If thats what you're into. We have found that with full hookups come crowds and usually smaller sites packed closer together. We search out the older state and ACOE places with at most electricity. We have no issues with using campground shower houses and the dump station on the way out or with the blueboy.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #16

One other option so you don't create a delay at the dump station. Look for an open full hook up site on your last day. After you're all ready for the road, back in to the empty site, dump and flush until you see clean water in your clear sewer hose coupler (I assume you have one of those - very handy). Head on down the road.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
With the exception of those that want to remove the backflow preventors because they either don't understand what they are for, or they have a leak and won't fix them and take them out.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #18

Agree with most of previous comments. However, we find that with our new fifth-wheel with three separate tanks to drain, it takes only a few moments to hook up the black tank flushing hose while all holding tanks are draining. My wife and I work as a well-trained team at each dump site, so the folks who may be in line behind us are usually understanding and patient. They watch how we operate, and often make notes on their own to duplicate our procedure. We are always prepared to dump in the most time efficient way possible. We have also learned that it is beneficial to leave a few gallons of fresh water in each holding tank during the trip home to slosh away any dried residue that may have accumulated on the tank walls.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

There would be big trouble around Saskatchewan if people were flushing their tanks in a Provincial Campground as most of them have holding tanks in the ground that will only hold so much liquid before they are full. They then need to be pumped out by a septic truck to be disposed of. Please don't flush until you get to a site that drains to a sewer system. Thanks.
perrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #20

Right On perrogie !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water