Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Empty Nesters

Dumping tanks at home

Let me preface this that this is my first ever MH and I have yet to take it out...going next weekend.

I just noticed that I have a sewer cleanout on the back wall of my garage. My washer and dryer are back there. The closest I could get my RV is in the driveway in front of the garage. I could easily reach it with a 30 ft sewer hose. Is this too long to manage? What is the maximum you should run a sewer hose. The cleanout is just about 6" above the floor which would allow a slight downhill slope from the RV outlet.

Do some of you dump your tanks at home as an option?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
code.org

Great option

I always dump at home.

When I poured a concrete pad at home for my trailer, I added a sewer connection right next to the pad.

I use the GEO method, dumping at the campground before leaving for home and adding 5-10 gallons of water along with the water softener, detergent, and bleach to be agitated on the journey home. I then dump and flush again when I get home.

Having a dump station at home really helps keep the tanks clean.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

I have a sewer "cleanout" that I installed in my backyard. It is about a sixty foot run from the camper pad, but it works and saves me the trouble of waiting in line at a gas station or rv dump. I'll just need to use it a few more times to pay for the hose.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Take a look at the Sewer Solution product. With proper setup, they claim you can dump up to 200 feet away and with a standard setup, uphill.
I have one and use it for FHU sites. It does drain a bit slower, but planning alleviates that issue.
FWIW, you can buy the complete kit or just parts. I bought parts and my own hose - a 75 foot "home and ranch" hose from one of the big box stores. Using about 50 feet of the hose for the sewer drain and the rest for other uses.
http://www.valterra.com/downloads/download-info/sewersolution/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
..... I could easily reach it with a 30 ft sewer hose. Is this too long to manage? .... The cleanout is just about 6" above the floor .....

"Sewer Solution" can handle that situation with ease(link below), and yes, many of us clean again when we get home, .....

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...system+%28ss01

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

i have a macerator pump i just hook up to a garden hose ( yes i only use it for the dump) and pump to my sewer clean out.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
Let me preface this that this is my first ever MH and I have yet to take it out...going next weekend.

I just noticed that I have a sewer cleanout on the back wall of my garage. My washer and dryer are back there. The closest I could get my RV is in the driveway in front of the garage. I could easily reach it with a 30 ft sewer hose. Is this too long to manage? What is the maximum you should run a sewer hose. The cleanout is just about 6" above the floor which would allow a slight downhill slope from the RV outlet.

Do some of you dump your tanks at home as an option?

Thanks!
Yes I do, some. Your distance is not too far. I clean out at home but do the "big dump" at the campground. Live in a heavily forested, natural area and can do a cleanout dump down the backyard. I am thinking of rigging a long piece of 4 inch PVC going to my clean-out connection. Being a straight pipe not having the curly-q of the stinky slinky it would clean out better and more efficiently. I could just leave it is place and just screw the top on the connection. Then I could dump the full load at home.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #8

I have sewer access/clean-out in my driveway. It is awesome. No waits in lines at the RV dump and i can take my own sweet time not feeling rushed and making sure I am doing everything properly. This was causing me to think about having an electrician wire in a 30 amp outlet to make things 100% camper friendly but then decided I don't have reason to do that. The camper isn't stored there and we never run the air conditioner in the driveway as we are prepping making 15 amp good enough so it just isn't necessary. But, it would be a cool thing to have... hmmmm.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm able to dump at home too.

30' of sewer hose is nothing anymore.
Some of these huge rigs with multiple tanks have a sewer outlet towards the front of the rig and many R/V sites have the sewer pipe near the back of the site. I carry 40' of sewer hose all the time because you never know what you might run into. Makes for a little more hose cleaning but that's part of the landscape of camping.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

I'm one of those who fortunately have a way to dispose of the black tank "stuff" at home using a 12vDC macerator pump/dedicated garden hose. I usually dump just before I leave a campsite then add about five gallons of water so the liquid will slosh around on the way home. Once at home I use a garden hose with a wand stuck into the toilet/black tank and really clean the black tank out. When I'm all done cleaning I add about five gallons of water, tank treatment chemicals, a dish washer packet thingy, and about a pint of Simple Green and allow this to sit until we go again. Does this help with the tank sensors? Probably not as they seem to read "FULL" even when I know it's empty.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #11

We have the Sewer Solution we use for dumping from the drive home. We have the original 10' plus 2 25' extensions.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Home Sewage Disposal

I dug a ditch and installed a 3" PVC pipe from the back of my TT to a wall at the back of my garage. Then I installed an RV connector to the pipe which runs thru the wall. Then I used a flexible RV line to reach a clean out. Its the best thing I ever did. If you have the slope to move contents of the black tank, then do it. I believe a flex hose should work just fine, but you could also just use a 3" PVC line above ground with connectors at both ends, and store it when not in use.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #13

I have been to some places where I had to go almost 40 ft. to dump. Older CG. Worked fine.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

I would prefer the Sewer Solution to dump at home and the water directed into the outlet will certainly climb the 30-36" to our cleanout pipe... but it doesn't take any of the water in the tank with it. So for now we'll stick with our Flojet Macerator pump, which has no problems pushing poop uphill.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
... but it doesn't take any of the water in the tank with it. .....
... ??? ..... Either I don't understand your post, or you don't understand how the Sewer Solution works, ... SS is simply a macerator pump system, that doesn't use electricity, it uses a small water jet to break up solids and push everything thru the hose, ... not sure how you can do that without also taking ALL the water and everything else that's in the tank with it, ... SS does everything your Flojet system does, only better, ... no jammed gears, no electricity, no getting hot, ect. , ...... been using the same SS unit for over four yrs, on three different trailers, and no problems whatsoever, .... happy camping.....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

I use the Sewer Solution at home after every trip with the 25 foot hose into a cleanout in the floor of my garage. Works flawlessly. Hate hauling the Black Tank partially full all the way home but much easier at home especially with the built in black tank flush.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
... ??? ..... Either I don't understand your post, or you don't understand how the Sewer Solution works, ... SS is simply a macerator pump system, that doesn't use electricity, it uses a small water jet to break up solids and push everything thru the hose, ... not sure how you can do that without also taking ALL the water and everything else that's in the tank with it, ... SS does everything your Flojet system does, only better, ... no jammed gears, no electricity, no getting hot, ect. , ...... been using the same SS unit for over four yrs, on three different trailers, and no problems whatsoever, .... happy camping.....
I wonder if he's making the same mistake we made first time we used it. We had the jet pointing upstream and almost a overfilled the black tank. So, not knowing what was wrong, along with a few strong words between us, we would turn off the water and watch the tank trickle out. As soon as we figured out the directional jets we were hooked.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
King of the Road

I usually just use my neighbors flower beds. About a 10 ft run and it's only twice a year.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #19

I will not travel with waste in the tanks unless absolutely necessary.

On our way to Myrtle Beach two months ago, I hit what appeared to be a lid from a large plastic tote. No way to avoid it at 65 mph with traffic on both sides of us. It flew up and broke the 3" x 1 1/2" tee off of the black tank dump valve and bent the left rear stabilizer jack bad enough to need a replacement. Hard to believe it was a piece of plastic. It could have broken the valve off of the tank.

I rinse and dump to a clean out along my driveway but I dump the waste before I leave the campground.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #20

(2015 GT 364) I recently spent over $200 for a top-rated macerator. But, I have two problems, the first is just bothersome: to make it all work, I need a heavy gage 12v DC line that is about 30' long to reach from the battery to the dump port on the back left side of the MH. (Didn't think I wanted to run a permanent 12v line through the underneath. I have two bathrooms i.e. two dump lines, so would be quite a wiring job.) In addition to that, there is the macerator itself, the dump hose and the backwash hose. Wow, lots of stuff strung all over the place, where is the convenience? But a larger issue is going uphill. Even though I am only going about 12" up at my home, when I turn everything off, gravity does its thing and whatever is in the dump hose at the time comes back out when I disconnect it. (I suppose adding a check valve would work.) Advice welcome.

Tags
tank