Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Don't beat yourself up too much. We've all done (or will do) our stupid something. All we can do is hope it's something that won't cost us too much (in repair or hospital bills).
Agreed, I get a stupid badge at least weekly.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #42

I repaired a radiator on my Ford Fairmont after my dad gave me directions. Used JBweld. We were stationed in the desert and of course hubby was in the field when it blew. It was a great repair and lasted for years.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #43

Only q that comes to mind is drinking water.... jbweld, epoxy this, caulk. When you get home I would fix it right.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
I don't think we get smarter as we get older, I think we just run out of stupid things to do.
Think I'll place this on a plaque where I can read it daily. Nothing more needs to be said.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #45

If it was me, before I trusted JB Weld or the screw, I would just use an aluminum closed end sealing rivet. Drill the hole to the proper size for the rivet, use a simple pop rivet hand tool, and it will probably outlast the rest of the water heater. No welding, no removing the tank, and a good fix.

You could even add a fiber washer or o-ring to help seal it up

Here's a link to some examples:
https://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/b...-blind-rivets/

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #46

My wife is stupid proof when it comes to the camper... she stands back and says she will be my hey boy and helper, that way she won't get blamed if something goes wrong! But credit has to be given for some good ideas she has had... painfully, way better than my idea!
If they had a Stupid Stuff Club badge I'd have to wear it.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
Weekender

My DW just commented that all of these Stupid Badges create humility and that each of US deserve a gold star for admitting our mistakes. My wife has gotten me out of many jams with her Macgyver like ideas.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
If it was me, before I trusted JB Weld or the screw, I would just use an aluminum closed end sealing rivet. Drill the hole to the proper size for the rivet, use a simple pop rivet hand tool, and it will probably outlast the rest of the water heater. No welding, no removing the tank, and a good fix.

You could even add a fiber washer or o-ring to help seal it up

Here's a link to some examples:
https://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/b...-blind-rivets/

Ray
I like this idea. Going to check into it further. Think I would still use some kind of seal under the rivet head?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWo View Post
I like this idea. Going to check into it further. Think I would still use some kind of seal under the rivet head?

They are supposed to be water tight by themselves, but since the tank will be under pressure, you could use an o-ring under the head or maybe even a thin fiber washer.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #50
Retired Old Fart

Closed end rivet with JB weld as extra sealant around the body of the rivet. You could also lightly sand the aluminum and exposed head of the rivet and use JB weld there as a secondary seal sort of like dicor on a RV roof vent. JB Weld is magic stuff and lasts dang near forever.

Also they do make aluminum screws. They are not something you find at Lowes or HD, but a well stocked old school hardware store will probably have them. An aluminum screw with JB weld is probably the easiest DIY fix. Just don't over torque the screw as it is aluminum and will strip out. The JB weld will do the job of a well torqued screw once it sets fully anyhow. Just remember to roughen the aluminum around the hole on the outside and do a final wipe down with alcohol or acetone so the JB weld has a good bonding surface with no residual surface oils or dirt.

But the aluminum sealed end pop rivet plus JB weld would offer more holding strength IMO vs an aluminum screw. But the aluminum screw and JB weld requires nothing but a screwdriver and a little sandpaper to install if you don't have a rivet gun.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #51
usnrete8

Screw in & JB Weld, probably last longer than we do.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

I have used these rods before with limited success, I would caution, it's very easy to overheat and melt the aluminum.

Ben
benfox49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfox49 View Post
I have used these rods before with limited success, I would caution, it's very easy to overheat and melt the aluminum.

Ben
It is best to use a broad flame with a brushing motion to bring up the temperature of the object you are repairing to the melting temperature of the rod.

https://www.facebook.com/22765389059...1096476121333/

Bruce
Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #54

End of the stupid badge - I hope!!

Finally finished up the heater with a new circuit board and used a closed end aluminum pop rivet with a dab of water weld by J B Weld for the permanent tank repair. The temporary fix with a stainless screw, rubber washer and silicone showed no signs of leaking after over two months of continuous use. Anyway everything good and works like it's supposed to. Just can't wait for my next challenge?
RogerWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #55

Every day my tt challenges me to a dual. Every day I loose, but hey I keep going back for more.
From now on the tt will owe me stupid badge also.
Atleast I will die with honor?

Tbd
2020 Trailhawk toad
Semper Fi
Pillboxmc is offline   Reply With Quote