Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Efficient winterizing with anti-freeze

Many are happy just using compressed air to blow out the lines. I'm too worried about water getting trapped in a low spot, and the air blowing over the water. I just finished a major floor rebuild, and just want to be 100% sure all water is displaced.

The previous 2 years, it's always taken a full gallon, then I had to crack open a second to fill the traps. This year, I was determined to get it done with only 1 gallon of the pink stuff.

I got some small clean stones from a Dollar Store, to fill the water filter housing, so not as much wasted there. Tip: Pea-gravel would be even better. Either way, pour AF thru the stones to pre-fill the filter housing before securing the housing. I didn't do this, and ended up with clear water at the bottom of the housing, from what was still in the waterline before the pump. Had to open back up, dump, and refill.

This trick, and shutting off the faucets quickly when the pink showed up, left me with plenty to pour into all the traps. I also realized that after all of the lines are winterized, if you end up needing some more for the traps, you can always run the pump for a little bit. Just don't run the pump too long dry, as it will overheat.

It's a small victory. $3 I don't have to spend, and a partial jug I don't have to store.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Resident Masshole

I did air first, and was completely surprised by how much clear water was pushed out when I added antifreeze as my second step. After seeing that, I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on air only.

I ended up using 3 bottles, including the black tank. Probably could have done it in 2, but I tended to let the faucets run a little long to make sure the gray tank got its fair share.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

I understand that it's good for the dump valve seals to have some antifreeze sitting on them over winter. I blow the water systems out and still use lots of antifreeze. The $7 or $8 saved by scrimping isn't worth the risk of having to replace tubing and/or fittings in some hard to get to places, or worse, weakening a fitting that blows during a trip, maybe while we are out and about for the day.

I'm a retired engineer. I do things more conservatively than many people. I do okay dealing with problems, but I sure do hate having to deal with trouble at inconvenient times!

PS When I winterize this time, as suggested on this forum, I'm putting a bottle in the water filter cannister to reduce the amount of antifreeze required.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I understand that it's good for the dump valve seals to have some antifreeze sitting on them over winter. I blow the water systems out and still use lots of antifreeze. The $7 or $8 saved by scrimping isn't worth the risk of having to replace tubing and/or fittings in some hard to get to places, or worse, weakening a fitting that blows during a trip, maybe while we are out and about for the day.

I'm a retired engineer. I do things more conservatively than many people. I do okay dealing with problems, but I sure do hate having to deal with trouble at inconvenient times!

PS When I winterize this time, as suggested on this forum, I'm putting a bottle in the water filter cannister to reduce the amount of antifreeze required.
Or due to negligence or oversight. Lucky I don't have to winterize. I was in the same field and feel the same way.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
I did air first, and was completely surprised by how much clear water was pushed out when I added antifreeze as my second step. After seeing that, I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on air only.

I ended up using 3 bottles, including the black tank. Probably could have done it in 2, but I tended to let the faucets run a little long to make sure the gray tank got its fair share.
My Flagstaff 5th wheel is completely winterized with less than 1 gallon.
The procedure is here somewhere. It also includes the black tank flush, city water inlet check valve, all the traps, and outside shower.

Here are some threads to try while I try to find my old post.
Winterizing - Forest River Forums

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post483464

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-48377.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterizing our 5th wheel.pdf (31.5 KB, 27 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize