Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

Electric water heater 2020 Coachmen leprechaun 319MB

Hello , I purchased a Coachman Leprechaun a few months ago. The electric hot water heater isn't working. Propane function works perfect. Checked every connection. Power is going to the element. Anyone have a similar issue?
Joe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

Did you check the element? How about the high temp reset next to the gas high temp reset?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Did you check the element? How about the high temp reset next to the gas high temp reset?
I did not take the element out , just checked power to it. It's a rat nest under there. I read the manual and it mentioned about a reset , for the life of me I can't find it. Do you have a idea where that would be? It's a 6 gallon system , if that makes a difference. Thank you for responding back to me so fast.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

If you perhaps have a suburban brand water heater, we have some good threads in the FAQ subsection under water heaters that may help. I'm currently on a mobile app and not in a position to find them

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

I will check out that section Thank you
Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2020 View Post
Hello , I purchased a Coachman Leprechaun a few months ago. The electric hot water heater isn't working. Propane function works perfect. Checked every connection. Power is going to the element. Anyone have a similar issue?
Do you what make and model you have?
Suburban or Atwood?
There are slight differences.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
If you have measured 120 VAC across the element, then it IS working--unless the element is burned out. 10 ohms=good. Infinity ohms=bad. Turning on the electricity when the heater is drained causes can burn out the element in seconds, although new ones claim to be protected.

One thing that trips people up is testing propane vs electricity. They have separate thermostats (in Suburban units, at least), set at about the same temperature. If you've just heated with electricity, the propane won't come on until the water cools--and vice-versa. Red-faced yet?

Since you said you have power at the element, then I'm sure the hidden switch at the outside lower left is turned On.

Please write back and tell us what you have found.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Do you what make and model you have?
Suburban or Atwood?
There are slight differences.
The model is Dometic GC6AA 10E gas and electric combo 6 gallon.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

I have no idea why I would be so upset? What should ones expectations be after spending $81,000 lol
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

Electric water heater

We have a 2017 Coachmen Leprachaun and it is connected to the electric fireplace. Only one of the two can be on at the same time. Perhaps that is your issue?
Pat Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #11

This?

Quote:
I have no idea why I would be so upset? What should ones expectations be after spending $81,000 lol
Joe, I hope the quote above isn't in reference to my comment:
Quote:
One thing that trips people up is testing propane vs electricity. They have separate thermostats (in Suburban units, at least), set at about the same temperature. If you've just heated with electricity, the propane won't come on until the water cools--and vice-versa. Red-faced yet?
That was only a joke about being embarrassed if you were trying to get the electric part to come on when the water had already been heated. No offense intended.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #12

No , not at all. The simplest things don't seem so simple. There must be many different heater models. Some chat groups stat there is a reset switch other stat a power switch outside. My model has nether. There is a power connection box on the bottom of the tank ( inside ) but no reset switch. Just a housing for power points to the relay and heater element. Water is stone cold , with the power panel with on. The light is illuminated in Blue , but I am assuming that just indicating power is on , not that the system is actually operational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Joe, I hope the quote above isn't in reference to my comment:

That was only a joke about being embarrassed if you were trying to get the electric part to come on when the water had already been heated. No offense intended.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Nelson View Post
We have a 2017 Coachmen Leprachaun and it is connected to the electric fireplace. Only one of the two can be on at the same time. Perhaps that is your issue?
We opted not to have the fireplace option. Thank you
Old 11-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #14

On our Mirada MH The Dometic water heater would not work on electric. There were 2 wires reversed on the connection between the switch and the heater. It took a repairman a bit of testing to find it, once the wires were reconnected correctly it works correctly.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

Dometic

Quote:
No , not at all. The simplest things don't seem so simple. There must be many different heater models. Some chat groups stat there is a reset switch other stat a power switch outside. My model has nether. There is a power connection box on the bottom of the tank ( inside ) but no reset switch. Just a housing for power points to the relay and heater element. Water is stone cold , with the power panel with on. The light is illuminated in Blue , but I am assuming that just indicating power is on , not that the system is actually operational.
Joe, I know nothing about the Dometic. Did your Coachmen come with a stack manuals? Or a CD or memory stick with all the manuals? RVs aren't like cars, No single manual. Just a stack of manuals for range, microwave, water heater, furnace, etc. Can you get the model number for the Dometic and then look for a manual online? The manual should give the procedures you need.

EDIT
Oh, one more thing. The customary practice for RVs in the winter is to "winterize" them. One element is to "bypass" the water heater and drain it. In that condition it doesn't matter whether you turn on the hot or cold tap, all you will get is cold water.

If your location is not likely to freeze soon, look at the BACK side of the heater. Identify where the heater panel is on the outside, and transpose to the inside. It could be under the sink, behind a cabinet door, screwed-on panel, or a peculiar cabinet door with hinges on both sides.

The water heater is a horizontal cylindrical tank. On/near the round end, there are 1, 2, or 3 valves connecting red, white, and blue pipes. Turn all valves to their opposite state. This will permit the water heater to fill. If you turn on the hot tap you will get air for a few minutes. Check outside to make sure the drain valve was put in and water isn't shooting out of the heater.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #16

Thank you for the reply. The electric hot water heater was working when I was in Gettysburg a few weeks ago. I noticed It stopped working when refueling in Lancaster. My wife said the water was cool.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I did not take the element out , just checked power to it. It's a rat nest under there. I read the manual and it mentioned about a reset , for the life of me I can't find it. Do you have a idea where that would be? It's a 6 gallon system , if that makes a difference. Thank you for responding back to me so fast.

Disconnect the element and check continuity ofsaid element.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
The model is Dometic GC6AA 10E gas and electric combo 6 gallon.

OK, we have this file in the library section that may help troubleshoot your model.

Dometic bought out Atwood fairly recently. The model numbers are the same when referring to either the newly named Dometic or previously named Atwood.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #19

I will check this out. Thank you very much
Old 11-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #20

Sounds like bad element if you have 120v at element
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater