Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #21

Black Water Tank

One way to eliminate this, is after you dump your black water tank add a few gallons of water and put a bag or a bucket of ice in the tank. Whille you are traveling the water and ice will slush around breaking up any left sediment you have in the tank and once you get to your destination you can open up the valve and drain the remaining sediment.

Hope this helps, I have yet to encounter this issue.
hhabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #22

Guess you're going to half to find the manhole cover and get in a clean the sensors. Actually next time you pack to go put 5 pounds of ice cubes in the black tank, this is supposed to clean the paper off the sensors and walls.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

Debris gets on the sensors and they will be incorrect.... No matter how well you take care of it. LOL
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
Debris gets on the sensors and they will be incorrect.... No matter how well you take care of it. LOL
2 things occur with sensors that can result in a bad / false readings and most conversation about what causes it completely disregards one of these. Yes, toilet paper can get 'hung' on a sensor and cause false readings. The bigger culprit causing the bad readings is gunk, dirt, crap, building up on the wall of the tank and providing a conductive path between the sensors thus causing false readings. By keeping the tank clean, thus the wall clean where the sensors are mounted, this will eliminate false readings. The Horst probes eliminate false readings by building the sensor in a way that prevents a dirty wall between the sensors from conducting. The probe tip of the Horst probe is mounted in Teflon so the electricity has a much harder time conducting thru the dirty wall of the tank and to the next probe.

On several trips I took with the trailer in rain and through some muddy areas I arrived at the campsite and my probe told me the black tank was full. It was fine at home. I discovered dirt and wetness on the outside of my tank in the areas of the probes. (no closed underbelly on mine) Washing that off and getting it dry eliminated the false readings. This convinced me how dirt and buildup in the inside of the tank on the walls would do the same thing. 'Gunk' buildup and slime, is conductive.

So, when you do a heavy cleaning of your tanks and it fixes the false readings it is not the actual probe you cleaned that fixed this, it was the dirty wall the probe is mounted on that got clean.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

The ice in the tank trick and the TP on the sensor cause have been debunked several times.

The sensors are "buttons" that are almost flush with the tank wall. Slime is the most likely culprit of inaccurate sensors.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The ice in the tank trick and the TP on the sensor cause have been debunked several times.

The sensors are "buttons" that are almost flush with the tank wall. Slime is the most likely culprit of inaccurate sensors.
Love his accent.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Love his accent.
On the rvprobes.com website the installation video says, "Be Sure To Empty Tanks First!"

Excellent advice.

He retired some time back and it was hard to find the probes for a while. Somebody bought the rights and is making them again.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #28
Steve & Phyllis

I have found that a half tank of clean water (flushed clean as possible) and about 1/4 bottle of Dawn detergent and a ride home cleans the walls of the tank and the sensors very well. Sometimes I put a half bottle of pine sol in it and let it slosh when going to a campground.

Steve
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank