Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Empty Black Tank

Newbe question, camped for the first time and packing up I emptied and cleaned my black tank. Should I leave it empty or always fill it a little after emptying?
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

I always keep 3 or 4 gallons of water treated with chemicals in the black tank. The only time I keep it emptied is during winter storage and even then there is some antifreeze in the tank.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

'Dunno, I've always rinsed and left it empty. Can't think of any reason to want anything left in it, except when I winterize, that little bit of RV antifreeze left in there keeps the seal on the terlit and dump valve from getting sticky when you want to getter thawed out in the spring
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
clr

I like to put a couple of gallons of water in the black tank after I dump and packing up to hit the road. I feel the sloshing of the water in the tank while driving helps to clean out anything that did not dump. In fact I also dump about a 1/2 cup of dawn down the toilet to help with this.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

We use the "GEO" method for keeping the black tank clean. After the double/triple rinse, We add 1 cup powdered detergent and 1 cup powdered water softener in a gallon or so of water down the commode. The idea is for the mixture to slosh around and coat the walls with a film that, when used next time, keeps the solids and paper from sticking to the sides of the tank. Easy, economical and effective.
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank