Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #21

Here's my sewer hose holder, 5" vinyl post with rain gutter. Held to frame with SS bolts with fender washers clamped over the top of the frame web. Two on the inside, two on the outside of the frame rail, so 4 on each side of the camper. For each bolt you need 3 fender washers: one inside the vinyl post, one on top of the frame rail, and the 3rd you cut in half and sandwich between the post and the top fender washer (makes up for the thickness of the frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose #1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	35586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose #2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	35587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose #3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	35588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose #4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	35589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose #5.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	35590  

rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #22

I got the post and end caps at Home Depot and the rain gutter and gutter ends at Lowe's. Also, I didn't really say it above, but ALL the hardware needs to be SS (bolts, nuts, fender washers, eye bolts, etc).
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

WirthCo 30000 Black RV Locking Bumper Plug $6.56 each at amazon.com and probably available at other places, too. Put them in, then push in the center of the cap to expand the edges and lock them in place. My OEM caps kept coming out, too, but these have eliminated the problem.
I switched to this type too. 2-1/2 years later haven't lost a cap since switching.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
NELA

DH solved our problem with this by wrapping doubled backed tape (he uses it for golf club grips) once around the inner "fins" then tapped them in with a rubber hammer.

Of course, we don't use the bumper to store anything in.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
This is low-skill, cheap and simple...

Go to 99-cent store, pick up a set of fondue skewers.
Drill appropriate size holes thru top/bottom bumper and nylon end-caps.
Cut two skewers from the set to 6".
Attach a bungee-wrap to each skewer.
Insert your new "end-cap skewers".

Hey now, your end-caps are secure, and that skewer won't come out and puncture a tire behind you. Now be nice and share the left over skewers from the set with your camping friends, or, well, cook something nice on the pit.
Great easy & simple solution!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #26

Don't like putting a wet stinky slinky in a 4" square carbon steel tube that can't be painted or inspected very well.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Oh, for the people who don't store the hose in your bumper, where do you store it? Seems awful messy to put anywhere else.
We bought a semi-clear square plastic box about six inches tall to store ours in. The box goes into the belly storage bay.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, this is a plumbing related question, I guess. The end caps on the rear bumper come loose while I am moving. I am afraid that sooner or later one will come off and the sewer hose will come out on the highway. It is a new trailer and the hose actually fits pretty snug so I am not sure how the end caps are coming loose. Is there a better method for securing the caps to the bumpers?
Drill a small (1/8") hole thru top and bottom of bumper and edge of caps. Stick a cheap shis-ka-bob skewer thru the holes and snip it off about 2" below the bottom. Really cheap, quick fix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130717_210709.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	35617

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's my sewer hose holder, 5" vinyl post with rain gutter. Held to frame with SS bolts with fender washers clamped over the top of the frame web. Two on the inside, two on the outside of the frame rail, so 4 on each side of the camper. For each bolt you need 3 fender washers: one inside the vinyl post, one on top of the frame rail, and the 3rd you cut in half and sandwich between the post and the top fender washer (makes up for the thickness of the frame rail.
Very cool setup. Saw a camper at one campground that was using the vinyl gutter to keep the slinky from bulging out. Will have to check into that as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have ordered a pair of the WirthCo bumper caps.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Drill a small (1/8") hole thru top and bottom of bumper and edge of caps. Stick a cheap shis-ka-bob skewer thru the holes and snip it off about 2" below the bottom. Really cheap, quick fix.
Gives the shis-ka-bobs more flavor too! At least that one.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Gives the shis-ka-bobs more flavor too! At least that one.
Just dont eat the mushrooms. :-)

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Very cool setup. Saw a camper at one campground that was using the vinyl gutter to keep the slinky from bulging out. Will have to check into that as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have ordered a pair of the WirthCo bumper caps.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #33

I replaced my bumper caps with the WirthCo caps yesterday and while I was at the camper storage facility I noticed nearly all the campers were missing one or both caps. Saw one with the skewer through the bumper to hold the hose in. Seems pretty sorry that the manufacturers know those caps are junk and can put a couple bucks more in them to fix the problem.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I replaced my bumper caps with the WirthCo caps yesterday and while I was at the camper storage facility I noticed nearly all the campers were missing one or both caps. Saw one with the skewer through the bumper to hold the hose in. Seems pretty sorry that the manufacturers know those caps are junk and can put a couple bucks more in them to fix the problem.
In a storage facility it could be the result of some 5 finger discounts. Easy problem to solve with a coat hanger by just making a long pins and drilling holes in the caps.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
1) They are bumpers (mostly ornamental); not storage tubes. The caps are designed to be hammered in and left alone. They could make the bumpers more sturdy by adding weight to the camper that gets subtracted from your payload.

2) Bike racks and spare tire holders twist the square tubes and work the caps out. The solution is to not use them.

Next time you check one with missing caps, look for evidence of a sewer hose, tire or bike rack. You will solve the mystery of the missing caps.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

1) They are bumpers (mostly ornamental); not storage tubes. The caps are designed to be hammered in and left alone. They could make the bumpers more sturdy by adding weight to the camper that gets subtracted from your payload.

2) Bike racks and spare tire holders twist the square tubes and work the caps out. The solution is to not use them.

Next time you check one with missing caps, look for evidence of a sewer hose, tire or bike rack. You will solve the mystery of the missing caps.
If the factory has no intentions of the bumper being used for some sort of light storage...wonder why they don't completely box in the ends with metal instead of removable rubber end caps?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
If the factory has no intentions of the bumper being used for some sort of light storage...wonder why they don't completely box in the ends with metal instead of removable rubber end caps?
Cheaper to use molded rubber than pay the labor to weld on the metal?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

WirthCo 30000 Black RV Locking Bumper Plug $6.56 each at amazon.com and probably available at other places, too. Put them in, then push in the center of the cap to expand the edges and lock them in place. My OEM caps kept coming out, too, but these have eliminated the problem.
Switched to this cap last trip out. Highly recommend. I had been kicking my original caps back in each trip I made. My last trip I arrived at the campground to find a cap missing and my extra sewer hose gone. I ordered these and had them overnighted to the campground. These guys did not budge on my 3-hour trip home.