Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

End of Trip Black Tank Flush. Where'd I Go Wrong?

So we just finished our 3rd trip in our first ever TT, and it's the 2nd time we've used the black tank for solids (I was only able to keep the wife and kids liquid only for 1 trip ). Somehow I've managed to be less than flawless on my black tank cleaning both times and was wondering how I can improve.

1. Drain black tank till it stops, then close drain.
2. Use city water attached to black tank flush until meter shows 2/3 full, then drain again until it stops. Water comes out clear.
3. Drain grey tank till it stops, then close drain.
4. Get home, run sinks/toilet just until freshwater tank 1/3 full light goes out.
5. Open black tank drain and find the present my daughter made for me, chase it down the driveway with a doggie bag and wonder where I went wrong.
6. Drain grey tank.
7. Come inside and get on forums.

Any thoughts? Do I just leave well enough alone after leaving the dump station even though the trailer will sit for the next 7 weeks? Only thing I could come up with is maybe I'm supposed to pre-fill the black tank a bit before use?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

My unit says to never run the flush while the valve is closed. It has an orbital shower head that moves around in there. Prob want it flushing while cleaning. Filling tank and then pulling the handle you may still get the occasional straggler. Never pull your black tank handle if you don't have a sewer hose and a sewer unless you are prepared to deal with whatever may be lerking.

And yes you are always supposed to put a few gallons of water in when you add your treatment. And try to keep the wife and kids from not going crazy with paper. And yes leave well enough alone once you leave dump station.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

It's hard to do.

I run the Flush, on HOT water, from the bay.........while standing there!!!!!......for a while, making sure not to overflow.

THEN I open the drain WHILE the flush is still running, this time cold water.

I let the flush run with drain open for a while.

Then I repeat......by shutting the drain, WITH the flush still running (DO NOT WALK AWAY!!!) for a little bit......then open drain.

After about 8 attempts at this, I turn OFF the flush and open the drain and walk off for about 15 minutes.

Then I close the drain, run the flush AGAIN!!!! for a few minutes......then shut it off and open the drain and hope it's clear water. It is never totally clear.

Then I close the drain and run the flush to fill black tank with water somewhat........so it is never 'dry'. Then I go inside and add Rid-X for RV, a cupful or so........and a 'pod' of tank cleaner.....some Calgon.........and let it sit.

I use the black tank for what it's intended for.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

I run black tank flush while dumping. During the process I shut black valve a couple of times and let water build up again. Just don't walk away while doing this. I have clear pipe at camper end of sewer hook-up. When it runs clear I shut off black tank flush and let water drain. I then put chemical and 2 gallons of water in toilet while grey tank is draining. Hope this helps
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #5

8 attempts and walking off for 15 minutes? So your the guy causing the back up at the dump station Sunday afternoon.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
8 attempts and walking off for 15 minutes? So your the guy causing the back up at the dump station Sunday afternoon.
LOL, I was wondering the same thing. I felt like I was going to hold up the line if I spent too long so I did the drain/fill/drain. Still learning the etiquette.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Don't use dump stations. My black flush is built in and is 'fed' by city water hose connection.

I should have been clearer. If I was having to go to dump station, I for SURE would not do it that way.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Scoundrel

No matter how clear things look coming out of the black tank at the dump station, I never open the black tank valve in the driveway. You never know what little surprise got left behind.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
You never know what little surprise got left behind.
That's where you're wrong. I know exactly what got left behind!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like from now on after the flush at the dump station I'll pre-fill a couple gallons and leave it alone.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

I also wouldn't rely on the level indicator lights when filling the black tank with the drain closed as they are notoriously unreliable. I will usually have someone manning the dump valve while I'm inside keeping an eye on the water level by cracking open the toilet valve just enough to get a look. When I see the water getting close I bellow loudly (it's a gift) to pull the valve. If the water fails to recede the bellow turns into a blood-curdling shriek. Less of a gift, but the alternate result would be...unpleasant.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

What I don't understand is why you opened the valve while not hooked up to a sewer. Did I miss something?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #12

I pull the handle, when the flow stops turn on the flush and let it run for 3 to 5 minutes. Close flush, close handle. I fill the toilet with water 3 times to put water in the tank, then add the deodorant chemicals. Looking at my plumbing the drop tube to the valve will hold nearly 1 gallon so to put just a couple of gallons in would hardly cover the bottom of the tank and put most of the chemicals in the drop tube. I am fortunate to have a private septic at the house and a place to dump the camper so I don't need to worry about on the road use.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

You’re on the right track. I’ve been having good results filling 1/2 to 2/3 with water 2 or 3 times after the initial dump. I won’t tell you how to fill it. The way I do it is the way you’re not supposed to. It takes a while but I like to do it before we head home. I can do it at home if I need to, but it’s not as convenient.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I am fortunate to have a private septic at the house and a place to dump the camper so I don't need to worry about on the road use.
I need to add a dump station to my septic system. That would be convenient!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookstone345sa View Post
I run black tank flush while dumping. During the process I shut black valve a couple of times and let water build up again. Just don't walk away while doing this. I have clear pipe at camper end of sewer hook-up. When it runs clear I shut off black tank flush and let water drain. I then put chemical and 2 gallons of water in toilet while grey tank is draining. Hope this helps
X2
Old 02-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #16

To me reading some of these post, I find it really funny that people forget this gentleman is relatively new to RVing. Second that we all started out new at some point and learned through trial and error or from helpful advice from someone paying it forward. So instead of the "why did ya do that", give good solid advice for the future.

I place a couple bags of ice in my tank through the toilet as we are leaving on our trip to break up anything missed in previous flushes. The ice as it melts swishes around breaking up any solids clinging the walls or bottom of the tank. I also have a tank flush system that I allow to run for 20 minutes at the dump station (when the dump station is not backed up). I allow grey water tanks to fill the last two days to flush after I flush the black water, helps with cleaning the hose out. I too have thought tank was empty only to find the valve not closing fully and find black water in the drain when I go to hook-up at the site. It is the price we pay when out in our home away from home. If you wanted it some other way, I am sure you would have continued to stay at a motel with noise neighbors running up and down the halls screaming at all hours of the day and night.
jth8696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

Kind of going off topic but I always put a cup of Downey Fabric Softener in my black tank along with the normal chemical. Seems to give me a faster and cleaner flush of the system when I dump. Keeps thing slippery and makes the solids break down faster. Old trick I got from my dad.
Blucruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
What I don't understand is why you opened the valve while not hooked up to a sewer. Did I miss something?
I think he meant not hooked up to a campground dump station where he was delaying other people but rather hooked up to a private station where time was not an issue.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #19

To the OP, I believe you asked if you should pre-load the tank with water. I like to put in a couple of gallons after flushing and then add the chemical for the next trip. That keeps anything that might be remaking soft and provides odor control.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #20

When using the dump station it never feels like you have time to do decent flushing job... I always do the best we can without holding the line and plan on the next trip being full hookup where on the last day we can do a thorough job - that means the good old magic wand. Does a far better job then the tank rinse and it’s just as fast. Not as pleasant but just as fast... lol
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank