Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Expecting Repairmen any minute-yeah right!

Still having issues with holding tank valves.

The underneath of our fifth wheel is enclosed and to me it looks impossible to get in there and fix anything. Just how are they going to access the valves? From the inside of the rig, or take off the "underbelly"?

Also, does anyone know of an online dictionary of RV terms? Somehow "underbelly" doesn't seem correct....

They said they'd be here over an hour ago and never called to say they'd be late... must also work for the cable company....

Thanks,
Sylvia
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSylvia View Post

The underneath of our fifth wheel is enclosed and to me it looks impossible to get in there and fix anything. Just how are they going to access the valves? From the inside of the rig, or take off the "underbelly"?

Also, does anyone know of an online dictionary of RV terms? Somehow "underbelly" doesn't seem correct....

They said they'd be here over an hour ago and never called to say they'd be late... must also work for the cable company....

Thanks,
Sylvia

They will not (and can not) get to the holding tank valves from inside of the unit. there are screws holding some sheeting on the underside. will not take long to get off and get to the valves.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

RV lingo.....

RV Terms Glossary, RV Camping Glossary - Trailer Life Directory
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

What ever is faster, they will do...either unscrew & pull down underbelly or cut a section out to access problem area & tape it back in place.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSylvia

Thanks,
Sylvia
They will take a large panel off IWO the drainage valves open and drain the tanks and then renew the errant valve or cable. You neen to find a shop you trust and have it done. Doubt anyote can do as described in your driveway. Esp. If tanks have drainage in them. JMO
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

It sounds like you don't believe in Mobil RV mechanics. I'm sure they do it all the time, or would turn down the job if they couldn't do it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
It sounds like you don't believe in Mobil RV mechanics. I'm sure they do it all the time, or would turn down the job if they couldn't do it.
X2
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Trailer Trash

I had a mobile tech come to my RV resort. They cut a rectangle out of Coloplast underbelly material. Cut is on 3 sides so it forms a hinge and swings down for servicing the black and gray dump valves. Once you can get at them, it's standard repair procedures from there. Once repairs are done, a very sticky heavy duty black tape is used to refasten the underbelly material. This tape is used in the mobile homes industry and is SOP for them also.

Mobile techs are great if you are a resident in a seasonal RV park. No need to move your RV. You do pay a trip charge to the tech which could be 50-100 bucks. However, if you can wait until the tech is in the RV park already, then you can do a shared service call and reduce or eliminate the trip charge.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Thanx to all!

Service (or at least part of it) is done for today. The guy unscrewed about 8 screws and the underbelly popped right down. He replaced the black water valve but has to order the galley one.

But, the outside flush hose, which was working, is not working any longer. That repair will come when he replaces the galley valve. He traced the hose for the flusher up across the water heater, down by the fresh water tank intake and back down under to the black tank. Said that was ridiculous and I agree, so will run one more direct when he comes back. Would there be any good reason to run 10 feet of hose when three or four would do it?

The best news is: My tank level indicators are right on the money now!

And my black tank is very clean.
Gotta give it up to the previous owners in that regard for their very good maintenance of this 5er's toidy! Thank you whoever you are!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706
Yes Sir, when my Georgetown was new I needed a 3' multilead cable. Seemed like a 3 hour job and and Boat and RV nearly stated it that way. Provided them name and photo of part needed at Lippert. Anyway after 30 days and two "shops" later, I got it back. About like the voyage of "the Minnow", another 3 hour tour.

Anyway there are good ones, just hard to find. I do all of my own after the warranty, Iost 2 months in the "shop", way too much for this pricey box.

Wonder if her tech showed up??, hope so......
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSylvia
Service (or at least part of it) is done for today. The guy unscrewed about 8 screws and the underbelly popped right down. He replaced the black water valve but has to order the galley one.

But, the outside flush hose, which was working, is not working any longer. That repair will come when he replaces the galley valve. He traced the hose for the flusher up across the water heater, down by the fresh water tank intake and back down under to the black tank. Said that was ridiculous and I agree, so will run one more direct when he comes back. Would there be any good reason to run 10 feet of hose when three or four would do it?

Thank you whoever you are!
Yes, that is actually a Pubic Health requirement (vertical loop with vac breaker) sole purpose is any direct connected tank cannot syphon back to system fresh water mains if shore pressure is lost.

Good to hear they showed up, sounded as though they were no show in your 1st post.

Tags
repair