Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

External water supply

We took our 2009 Rockwood 8319SS out for our first campnng trip this past week. Everything was great. Weather cooperated - no major malfunctions with the camper. Had a great time. One question:

When we hooked up the campground water we noticed a vibrating noise when we turned a faucet (hot or cold) on. When we turn it off it stops. I thought it might be air in the campground lines as the water was very milky. I hooked up my home water supply when we got back and it does the same thing. I thought it might be the water filter sucking air so I removed it - checked the gasket and re-installed it. No go - still vibrating - so I removed the filter completely and just had the canister on. again - no go same vibrating noise.

I am puzzled. I could understand the water pump making a noise when pumping water but I haven't used it at all so far.

can anyone shed some light on this for a very puzzled person. Any help would be appreciated.

David
Toolpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Geez, no idea... for the benefit of those who might have some thoughts, here are a couple of questions that might help to narrow things down. Is the water system otherwise normal - no sputtering and good pressure, etc? Does running every facuet cause the shutter? Does it shutter when the water heater is filling? What happens when you DO run the water pump and fresh water tank?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Site Team

If it's milky then it's got to be air entrained. One way to get air in the system when you're hooked to "city" water is for you to have the pump on and it's sucking air. That would inject air into the system as you run the faucets. I guess the same thing could happen if something could create a venturi effect and suck air into a line as you run water. It might be able to happen at the antifreeze injection point if it wasn't sealed. It could happen at a fitting but I would think that it would leak water when the faucets were off.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

thoughts

The water at my home has no air in it. I checked the filter as the water is going thru and no air is present. All the faucets work ok. Haven't tried the water pump since bringing the camper home from the dealer. I can put my hand on the water line and feel the vibration as well as hear it. I am stumped. The noise doesn't start as soon as you open the faucet. It starts about a second or two after the faucet is opened. It does it at all faucets.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #5

Well Tool, I really can't think of what it would be. Something is certainly acting weird. But seeing how it's a '09, I wouldn't fool with it. It is something defective and under warranty.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

My last Camper did the same thing. Never did know Why.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #7

Is the water pump somehow coming on when your using the city water hookup, causing additional pressure/airation?

Jeff
JeBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There is probably a spring loaded check valve between the city water supply line and the water pump for your onboard water tank and pump. Maybe there is a small bit of grit or something blocking the complete closing of the check valve, causing the valve to shutter open and closed slightly, causing the vibration???

If this were the problem the quick remedy would be to unhook the city water supply, and cycle the onboard water pump on and off a couple of times to try and dislodge any obstruction that is preventing the check valve from closing completely.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Team

It certainly sounds like something causing a venturi effect and sucking air into the system. I've seen some wierd things happen with plumbing but this is a puzzler. One thing comes to mind is, if you have a anti-siphon device it could malfunction and create just the symptom you describe.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #10

Now that I think of it, a friend had a faulty check valve that sounded like a moose every time he or his wife ran the water... quite disconcerting in the shower I guess.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #11

yep, that seems to be it. I can wiggle the water connection and the sound changes. I'll have to get with my dealer and have him replace it. I also found out that my black tank flush (came with the camper) leaks at the connection just inside the camper where the water pump and filter is located. that's all I have found so far. thanks for the input.

David