Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Extra Tank in '18 Salem Hemisphere 272RL?

Just bought a new 272RL and in addition to the main panel showing fresh, black and 2 grey tank indicator lights, there is another, smaller panel with lights that, despite filling the fresh and then using the rig which means also "filling" the black and 2 greys to varying levels, remained "empty" and unlit. Any ideas?

Why don't you get a schematic when you buy an RV, so you know where all the mechanicals are? We tend to "remodel" our rigs, so we eventually figure everything out, but this was the shakedown cruise, fresh from the dealer! TIA
campfireusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Maybe someone with the same rig can definitively answer your question, but for now I'll take a stab at it.

Does that panel have a switch on it? If so, they could have just used it as a remote water pump switch panel. I'm not sure where it's located, so that may not make sense.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
llr

If it's like my Flagstaff panel it is generic. Mine has at least an extra gray gauge and slide control. Just ignore the extras
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Maybe someone with the same rig can definitively answer your question, but for now I'll take a stab at it.

Does that panel have a switch on it? If so, they could have just used it as a remote water pump switch panel. I'm not sure where it's located, so that may not make sense.
No switch...it's located below the main panel with all the water/waste indicators. I sent the question to the sales rep who sold us the unit...still awaiting an answer! Thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

The sales rep says we have 3 grey tanks on our unit! One is for the outside kitchen sink! Mystery solved! Thanks all!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

What? I've not heard of putting 3 grey tanks on a straight trailer. How many discharge valves do you have?
Mfg brochure states 60 gal grey water capacity but not how it's divided between the grey tanks.
Our 282RK w/ outside kitchen has 2 grey tanks, the galley & outside kitchen go to the rear tank. The grey tanks are roughly 40/20 gallons for bath/kitchen respectively.
Our unit( sorry no picture) has 5 indicators in order left to right:
Battery, Fresh tank volume, black tank , grey 1 (shower & bathroom), grey 2 (rear galley ).
There also switches for the fresh water pump and gas water heater. They both have indicator lights.

The sensors aren't all that accurate, after a year, our empty tanks all register 1/4 full. I found a capful of Calgon water softener in the tanks after emptying keeps the scum buildup on the inside of the tank to a minimum, giving a more accurate reading from the sensors.
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
What? I've not heard of putting 3 grey tanks on a straight trailer. How many discharge valves do you have?
Our 282RK w/ outside kitchen has 2 grey tanks, the galley & outside kitchen go to the rear tank.
Our unit( sorry no picture) has 5 indicators in order left to right:
Battery, Fresh tank volume, black tank , grey 1 (shower & bathroom), grey 2 (rear galley )
The sensors aren't all that accurate, after a year, our empty tanks all register 1/4 full. I found a capful of Calvin water softener in the tanks after emptying keeps the scum buildup on the inside of the tank to a minimum, giving a more accurate reading from the sensors.
So yup, 3 grey tanks...there is an extra discharge valve as well. Maybe cuz it's brand new...built in March. And yes...the sensors are always inaccurate! This is the third trailer we've had, and all of them drove us crazy..."don't use too much water" is the battle cry. This one has a flush feature that we're hoping will help as well.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

Useless panel

We bought our rig used. The panel indicators are ALL inaccurate with the exception of coach battery power. We just have learned how frequently to empty tanks.
I also wish we had a schematic. We have an extra grey tank which the dealership didn't tell us about. The day before our "maiden voyage", after using a small amount of water to wipe things down, that tank backed up into the shower. It smelled like something had died and rotted!!! Apparently, the disgusting foul water had not been emptied when the previous owner traded in the rig. Who knows how long it sat in there fermenting.😡
MargiLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

That is correct...tank #1 is your shower and bathroom sink, tank #2 will be your kitchen sink. The extra panel below the main switch panel will be for your outdoor kitchen.
Ridgerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfireusa View Post
So yup, 3 grey tanks...there is an extra discharge valve as well. Maybe cuz it's brand new...built in March. And yes...the sensors are always inaccurate! This is the third trailer we've had, and all of them drove us crazy..."don't use too much water" is the battle cry. This one has a flush feature that we're hoping will help as well.
You SHOULD use plenty of water in the tanks, especially the black to avoid the dreaded poo mountain.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #11

I found the lower indicator is for the rear cink in the outdoor kitchen
utterback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #12

we have 2018 hemisphere glx 272rl --- 3 tanks.

per FR one for each room -- bathroom 30 gal grey; inside kitchen 18 gal; outside kitchen 18 gal

wish the kitchen was a little larger --- oh well, that's why we have portable tank
smith32533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem, tank