Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Filling fresh water

Bought a new Wildcat fifth wheel, had the dealer fill the fresh water tank before PDI, at PDI the display said full. Camped for a week, at which time the display showed 1/3 full, so figured I'd fill it. To my surprise, it only took about five minutes before it started spitting water out of the fresh water fill inlet. Tried "topping it off," but it didn't want to take any more. Display still showed 1/3 full. Used for two more days and ran out of water. Filled again and was only able to put in 17-18 gallons. What am I doing wrong? Help!!!
btf66509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

Mine does the same thing. Just fill it very slow. It probably takes a good 15-20 minutes to fill mine. If that doesn't work you might have to rerun your input hose to remove any kinks. Also check your overflow tube for kinks/blockage. There's also a smaller filler hose that attaches to your water hose that some folks use to jam it in their fw input to get past a kink or large bend.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Mine does the same thing. Just fill it very slow. It probably takes a good 15-20 minutes to fill mine.
X2 on this comment. I had the same experience as the OP and filling it slowly, ignoring the first time it backs up, or the second or ... Also, putting leveling blocks under the wheels on the fill side to tip the trailer slightly lets more air escape and aids the filling.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

As indicated above you have a crimped or plugged vent hose. You should try to check it out and open it up.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I'll remove the convenience panel and check things out.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

I had a bug building a nest in my vent tube hole, camper spit water back at me like crazy till I found it and cleared it.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

I went to fill my fresh water tank today and there was a 'plug' of dry grass clippings in the vent hole--I pulled it out, and started filling the tank, but noticed there was still some grass about 1 inch down the vent tube. My friend grabbed some forceps, and started pulling out clumps of grass, and several light green dead bugs that looked like ? Baby grasshoppers. Went back to filling the tank, and had a fair amount of back pressure/ air and water shooting out both fill tube and air vent. I think we cleared the problem, but how do I prevent it from happening again? Maybe crazy glue a small piece of screening material over the vent hole?
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarph View Post
I went to fill my fresh water tank today and there was a 'plug' of dry grass clippings in the vent hole--I pulled it out, and started filling the tank, but noticed there was still some grass about 1 inch down the vent tube. My friend grabbed some forceps, and started pulling out clumps of grass, and several light green dead bugs that looked like ? Baby grasshoppers. Went back to filling the tank, and had a fair amount of back pressure/ air and water shooting out both fill tube and air vent. I think we cleared the problem, but how do I prevent it from happening again? Maybe crazy glue a small piece of screening material over the vent hole?

My Cat has a cover over the vent pipe. Adding a vented cap or some screen shouldn't be a problem.

Tags
fresh water, water