Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Filling Fresh Water Tank After Dewinterwize

We just had our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS dewinterized and noticed they left the fresh water tank 3/4 full. Is this common practice? We want to sanitize the tank, so I'm wondering if we should drain and add new water or use what's already in the tank. We are new to RVing. Any thoughts?
twochicksandarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Not common. I'd drain the water that's been sitting in there all winter before sanitizing. But that's just my opinion.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

I would just add the bleach and what ever water it takes to top the tank off.

Let it sit over night and then use the water pump to flush the lines out.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would just add the bleach and what ever water it takes to top the tank off.

Let it sit over night and then use the water pump to flush the lines out.
X2
Old 04-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Use what is in the tank. Or, if you question how clean that water is, drain it and put fresh water in it. The general recommendation is to use 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water. Be sure the water heater is turned off. Add the bleach to a gallon of water and pour into the fresh water tank. Run water through all faucets until you can smell the bleach. If possible, drive the RV around for a mile or 2 so that it sloshes around in the tank. Let the bleach / water sit over night.
Drain the water heater and fresh water tank. Add fresh water and flush all the lines. You may have to drain the water heater and fresh water tanks more than once to get rid of the bleach smell.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twochicksandarv View Post
We just had our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS dewinterized and noticed they left the fresh water tank 3/4 full. Is this common practice? We want to sanitize the tank, so I'm wondering if we should drain and add new water or use what's already in the tank. We are new to RVing. Any thoughts?
Dewinterized and Water in the Tank "All Winter" cant be used together! I know it Freezes in Ga.! Youroo!!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

I don't read the OP's post like everyone else. She says she had it dewinterized and whoever did it left water in the freshwater tank. She wants to sanitize the tank and wonders if she can do it with existing water in the tank. I don't see where she said the water was in the tank all winter. Like Ford Idaho said just add some diluted bleach to the tank and let it sit overnight then drain the tank from under the RV then refill the tank and clear out the system.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

If the dealer used non-toxic antifreeze in the FW tank and left it in there, then by all means drain it. I used to winterize that way (before I figured out how to do it with an air compressor) and always left some water/antifreeze in the tank so it could be pumped through the water pump and pipes. Come Spring I used water freshener available from the dealer to freshen the tank. BTW, you may want to check with the dealer to see why the tank has water in it, and if it does, does that water have antifreeze in it. I'd also be surprised if non-antifreeze water was left in the tank over the winter, which of course would defeat the purpose of winterizing.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
I don't read the OP's post like everyone else. She says she had it dewinterized and whoever did it left water in the freshwater tank. She wants to sanitize the tank and wonders if she can do it with existing water in the tank. I don't see where she said the water was in the tank all winter. Like Ford Idaho said just add some diluted bleach to the tank and let it sit overnight then drain the tank from under the RV then refill the tank and clear out the system.
I was referring to Post# 2 as per Water in tank all winter! Youroo!!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank, winter