Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Filling my Fresh Water Tank

OK this is a stupid question but I am wondering how to tell if my fresh water tank is full other than walking in the camper and looking at the gauge ? My previous camper had an overflow hole when it was full it started coming back out that hole. I have a Wildwood Heritage Glen 263RL and this weekend will be the first time I have camped in our new camper and have not had direct water hook ups.

Thanks in Advance and Hope everyone has a Great 4th of July Weekend,
Kent
Kmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

My unit has the vent/overflow tube located next to the freshwater tank shutoff valve which is located between the two axles (closer to the curb side of the trailer). Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

I know mine is full when water starts hitting the ground.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Thanks Bob I finally realized that but had heard that too full could create a siphon effect and drain the tank. Was just worrying too much with a new camper.
Thanks, Kent
Kmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

Had the same siphon effect with mine. When it starts flowing from the overflow, I turned on a faucet inside to counter it. Seemed to work. Lost 1/3 of my tank once going from the water station to our site.
chriscwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Team Bleu

I just open the cabinet it is in and watch when it gets to the top, but we also put a turn on/off value to the over flow tube so I don't loose water if it is over filled. Get to location I open and have never had a problem with loosing water from that point.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Since we shoot for 1/3 full on the FWT, I have the DW watch the gauge inside... pushing it every few seconds until 1/3 shows.

Not exactly this subject, but closely related...

From the posts here, seems like you will be dry camping and need a full FWT. We do not; however, I like to keep about 1/3 of a tank in case the bathroom is needed on the road.

If we rarely use it, is once or twice a year drain, sanitize (with rest of system), refill the FWT to 1/3 often enough... or should that water in the FWT be drained more often... since when used it pushes that stale water in the rest of the system?

This spring, I started draining and re-filling (to 1/3 tank) about every other month... am I wasting my time?
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

Kent, Search for 5/11/16 post from Fusionak "Fresh water tank valves Cherokee Grey Wolf 22RR". Post #13 & #18 (w/ pics) is what I did to my fresh water drain and vent/overflow lines. It will give you an idea of what can be done. It made my life a whole lot easier...............

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #9

Fill the tank at least 1/2 way, turn on your water pump and open the air release valve on your water heater. When you get mostly water rushing thru the air release close the valve. Then shut off your water pump. Now you've filled the water heater as well. Continue filling your water tank and slow down the water pressure at the hose when it get close to full. When water gushes out the fill pipe where the hose is inserted, your almost done. Shut off the water, remove the hose and put on the filler tube cap. Go inside and open a faucet to relieve pressure if your afraid of siphoning.
That works for me, and I've never had water siphoning issues. Or had my wife turn on the water heater on an empty water heater tank.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4B11T View Post
I know mine is full when water starts hitting the ground.
Same Here !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank