Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
RV There Yet?

Filling water Tank

We tend to spend most of our camping trips at state parks, and they dont have water on site. our tank is about 30 gallons, so water use tends to go quickly. we conserve water (navy showers) but we still tend to use it in a weekend. we are booking longer trips now and have considered different ways to top off/fill the tank without having to pull off site. for reference our tank is a gravity fill.

I am considering buying a 25 gallon atv sprayer tank and pump all in one. I wouldnt need the sprayer wand, but having the pump, tank, and wiring all in one is pretty handy. am i completely nuts to go this route? my extended family doesnt think it will be safe to drink from (BPA, Lead, etc). the tank is polypropylene.

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-25-Gal...8514821&sr=8-5

this setup would be cleaned and sanitized just like we do with our onboard tank and would ONLY be used for potable water, never anything else. it would be solely dedicated to this purpose. water would not be stored in it, just filled at the water station, driven to our site, and pumped into the fresh water tank. any excess would be drained.

I welcome everyones thoughts and opinions on this and any other suggestions you may have.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #2

Been through this my wife has started going on my hunting trips and water usage is a huge issue.

Simple option would be to buy some 6 gallon water cans. 3 of them would be a half tank for you and the tanks are less than $10 each. I used one of these for a while when we were winter camping and site water was turned off.

Since then i purchased a 16 gallon stock pot, used for beer brewing, it has a spigot drain valve on it. I can put this in the bed of the truck and fill it up with water then drive back to the campsite and I have a small food grade water pump that I use to pump the water into the tank. I already carry 50 foot fresh water hose with me.

It may seem like a lot but I needed a bigger pot for doing dishes and such outside. The fresh water hose is there for when I have water hookup. The pot is used for moving water and cooking( large amounts of boiling water, shrimp boils, ect). The only thing that isn’t used for anything else is the water pump, but I now have the ability to pull water from a body of water should I need to( I carry filters with me).

I thought about buying a sprayer unit to do it be a single use item and I would have to find a home for it. Pot I have now is used to store my fresh water hose and pump inside of so it doesn’t really take up any space in the camper.

quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

What about this guy.. says its potable water safe..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200108-160600.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	221593
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
our tank is about 30 gallons, so water use tends to go quickly. We conserve water (navy showers) but we still tend to use it in a weekend.
Wow! How many folks are in your family? The 2 of us make 30 gal. last a week.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I have no idea if your tank is safe to use or not. We bought an AQUA Tank 2 from Amazon and love it. Folds super small when not needed (our 60g folds down to the size of a gallon Ziploc bag). I originally used the camper's pump and anti-freeze inlet to pump it into the freshwater tank. The new camper isn't setup the same and I now need an external pump.

We have the 60g size, but they also sell a 25 or 30 gallon size:

https://learntorv.com/aquatank2-water-bladder/
Old 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

I have 2 barrels , one 30; one 50 gal. I bought a spare Rv water pump and use it with a hose for many things beside filling the trailer (mine and others). Watering plants beyond the garden hose in the summer for one thing. When at NASCARraces use it for warm outside shower in August. I take one barrel depending on anticipated need.
Retired UNC Charlotte engineering professor.
Minthillbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #7

That Aquatank looks appealing to me...
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

The problem that we have is that some of the areas we like to camp, have a spigot for the campground but they intentionally have an unthreaded spigot for everyone to share. You cannot connect a hose to it so that makes a large bladder or tank in my truck impossible.

My solution was the 7 gal Aquatainers that you find at Walmart or other regular sporting goods store. Aquatainers have a little spigot that screws into the lid. I ended up finding a threaded brass adapter with a nipple on the other side. This brass piece matches the size and threads of thw Aquaatainer lid. I attached a piece of tubing on the nipple side. Screw that into the Aquatainer lid and I can easily pour the water into my fresh water tank without a funnel. Three of those and I put about 20 gallons back in my tank.

The only issue with doing it this way is that you do have to be able to lift that 6-7 gallons of water in the Aquatrainer. Right now I can do it 15-20 years from now? Who knows.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
The problem that we have is that some of the areas we like to camp, have a spigot for the campground but they intentionally have an unthreaded spigot for everyone to share. You cannot connect a hose to it so that makes a large bladder or tank in my truck impossible.
Water Bandit is supposed to be the solution to that.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Head Rambler

Everything on those sprayer tanks is potable water approved except the rubber hose, and that's easy to change.

The only issue I have with using that as a transfer pump is that it's only rated at 1 gpm, so you're looking at 25 minutes to unload it.

I'd look at what Ependydad or Matman suggested and add a 4 or 5 gpm RV pump to unload them. That gives you the added benefit of having a spare pump if your RV pump ever goes out.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Everything on those sprayer tanks is potable water approved except the rubber hose, and that's easy to change.

The only issue I have with using that as a transfer pump is that it's only rated at 1 gpm, so you're looking at 25 minutes to unload it.

I'd look at what Ependydad or Matman suggested and add a 4 or 5 gpm RV pump to unload them. That gives you the added benefit of having a spare pump if your RV pump ever goes out.

Personally I wouldnt care if it takes a half hour. I spend all day at work rushing everything. When Im camping Im in no hurry. I can have a couple beers while it transfers
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
Personally I wouldnt care if it takes a half hour. I spend all day at work rushing everything. When Im camping Im in no hurry. I can have a couple beers while it transfers
Most folks when using portable tanks (and the like) are boondocking where battery resources are at a premium. Having a pump that draws current for a half hour -vs- minutes can save those valuable resources.

For me, saving resources is one of the reasons I connect my auxiliary water supply to the winterizing/antifreeze port and use the on-board pump to draw water into the system from there when needed. I only pump it once (from the aux tank/jugs) when using water instead of pumping from the aux/jugs into the fresh tank and then pumping a second time when using it.

If you are plugged in... use all the resources you want and have all the beers you'd like!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
RV There Yet?

thank you everyone! good info so far! good call on pump size, 25 minutes is a long time to wait. we always have sites with 30 amp connections, so all the power we need.

I found a tank set up from tractor supply with a 2.4 GPM pump already installed.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...8?cm_vc=-10005

as for my family size, its my wife and i, our 110 lbs black bear, and infant. apparently we are not so great at conserving water as we thought! washing bottles and filling dog bowls, two people showering per day, filling water bottles takes its toll!
Old 01-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Most folks when using portable tanks (and the like) are boondocking where battery resources are at a premium. Having a pump that draws current for a half hour -vs- minutes can save those valuable resources.

For me, saving resources is one of the reasons I connect my auxiliary water supply to the winterizing/antifreeze port and use the on-board pump to draw water into the system from there when needed. I only pump it once (from the aux tank/jugs) when using water instead of pumping from the aux/jugs into the fresh tank and then pumping a second time when using it.

If you are plugged in... use all the resources you want and have all the beers you'd like!

Never thought of it that way. I use a 110v pump that I plug in to my outside tv outlets. I just never go anywhere without my generator so I never considered battery power issues as I need to charge the batteries every couple days anyway.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #15

I carry two 6 gallon plastic jerrycans that I can fill up at any spigot. I have a small wagon so I can carry both when full back to the RV.
I installed a 12v water pump it can empty the cans in about 2-3 min using a 3' standard garden hose. Perfect set up total cost about $100 for cans, hose, pump an wagon.

2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
Travels California Coast & Beyond
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank