Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Filling water tank other than home garden hose

When I went camping and did not have access to a water source I tried to fill my tank by siphon the water out of a water jug. I could not get it to flow into the fresh water tank connector. Any suggestions?
Twabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Can you post a picture of your fresh water tank fill location?

Bruce
Old 10-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twabak View Post
When I went camping and did not have access to a water source I tried to fill my tank by siphon the water out of a water jug. I could not get it to flow into the fresh water tank connector. Any suggestions?

I have 2 systems for filling the fresh water tank. First is a product called Water Bandit. This attaches to the female end of my fresh water hose and allows me to connect to non-threaded water taps commonly found in some campgrounds.

The other is a funnel with a flexible spout and a 5 gallon water container. DW holds the funnel and I pour.

I have heard of some people using a surplus RV water pump attached to the house battery to pump from a water container to the fresh water tank.

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 10-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

When I am at a Provincial Park and need to fill/top up the fresh water tank I use a long funnel with a wide brim. Wife or son holds the funnel and I using two 2.5 gal pails fill er up. Depending on amount of use, two or four pails a morning keeps it topped up.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Was your water jug higher than your water inlet?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

I use the collapsible water 'bags" commonly sold for more basic camping. They fill easily, use a smaller hose that attaches to the spout. Since they collapse while emptying, no air lock. And when empty, I crush them then close the "faucet spout", so they stay flat, to save space. They are available in different sizes too, so can use several smaller ones to limit the weight lifting it to above the tank inlet.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

I have a 6 gal gas container that I use only for water. It's usually used to fill the dogs' water bucket but I can use it to fill water tank if need be.
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Walmart has 6 gal water jugs with a spigot cap that could have a short hose attached of the proper dia, approx 3/4".
Burk
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

I have a half of 55 gallon drum back up to spigot have a 25 ft hose fill it up then back by my water intake then I have a small pump I plug it in hook the hose to it then walk away .it fill up slow which pushes out all the air and I only have to fill it up once after the first one
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Dahagen

I have no gravity water fill on my motohome so I had to buy a cheap 12 v water pump with hose fittings from Harbor Freight and I fill through the pressurized water inlet with a hose from the pump to a bucket.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I have a half of 55 gallon drum back up to spigot have a 25 ft hose fill it up then back by my water intake then I have a small pump I plug it in hook the hose to it then walk away .it fill up slow which pushes out all the air and I only have to fill it up once after the first one

X2

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #12

Do you have an outdoor shower near your Fresh Water than fill port??

In my case, I can connect ~ 5 ft tube to the antifreeze fill port and dip it into a filled 6 gal jug on the ground. I then remove the shower head of the nearby outdoor shower and stick the shower hose end into the fill port. The water is then pumped through the camper and into the FW tank.

Obviously this would only works if you have a similar setup.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenfun View Post
I use the collapsible water 'bags" commonly sold for more basic camping. They fill easily, use a smaller hose that attaches to the spout. Since they collapse while emptying, no air lock. And when empty, I crush them then close the "faucet spout", so they stay flat, to save space. They are available in different sizes too, so can use several smaller ones to limit the weight lifting it to above the tank inlet.
I use those 5 gallon "bags" and love them. I have a valve that switches between a short hose or my main water tank. When I change the valve I place the short hose into the bag (jug) then turn on my water pump. This pumps the water from the jug instead of the fw tank.

And yes I know the water hose was kinked, I fixed it.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5621.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	91054   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5627.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	91055   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5628.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	91056  
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
Do you have an outdoor shower near your Fresh Water than fill port??

In my case, I can connect ~ 5 ft tube to the antifreeze fill port and dip it into a filled 6 gal jug on the ground. I then remove the shower head of the nearby outdoor shower and stick the shower hose end into the fill port. The water is then pumped through the camper and into the FW tank.

Obviously this would only works if you have a similar setup.
I don't have an outdoor shower but use the same technique using the bathroom sink. I replace the aerator with a hose adapter, connect my water hose to it and the other end of the water hose to the fresh water fill port. I switch the system over to winterize mode and place the winterize hose into a 5gal jug of water.

When the pump is turned on with the faucet open, water is drawn from the jug by the pump, goes through the faucet and hose then into the fresh water tank. I also make sure, when dewinterizing, to clear out the winterizing hose so no antifreeze ends up in the fresh water tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #15

You can get a pump that fits on a power drill. If you have cordless drill so much the better. From Harbor Freight or Northern Tool

Home
|
<LI class=product>All Purpose Drill Powered Pump

Double click on above image to view full picture

All Purpose Drill Powered Pump

Drill Master - item#34302

(44)
Read 44 Reviews
Write a Review

Uses your drill to drain water quickly with this drill pump

Only: $3.99
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #16
Anacortesians

You can pressure-fill the FW tank using your white water hose on a home or other fresh water faucet with a threaded body. Attach the RV end to the FW tank's pressure fill port and turn the faucet on.

Since we have one of the top 5 city systems in the country for water quality, we always left home with a full FW tank. I used one of the outside faucets near to where the MH was parked at home. If we used up the FW tank contents on a trip and a CG had good water, I'd do the same. IIRC, the FW tank was 40 gallons. I wasn't bothered about an extra 320 pounds since we were way under max GW on a typical trip.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Where did you find a 55 gallon drum that was clean? I would be a little concerned about what was in the drum.

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
You got me thinking. I remember seeing someone with a large trash can. He used trash bag in it and changed it each time he filled the can so it was always clean. He then used a drill pump like you to top off his fw tank.

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #19

I use collapsible bottle put a piece of tubing on and put a table and stool on top an let gravity do the work. I don't have to hold the bottle.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #20

drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Where did you find a 55 gallon drum that was clean? I would be a little concerned about what was in the drum.

Jim
I got a plastic one .What I did cut the top off then i scrub it out with soap and water .When we camp we don't drink the water we take bottle water for drinking and cooking.All we use it for is showering and the toilet and what little dishes we have we use plastic.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank