Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Filter Canister

Dewinterized today and for the first time could not remove all the anti-freeze from the water filter canister. The anti-freeze seemed to just hang out in the bottom--heavier than the water obviously.

So I had to drain the fresh water tank, remove the canister, clean out all the anti-freeze, and refill the tank again to complete the dewinterization process. The reason I'm bringing this topic up is that I don't recall having this problem before, or is it that I just didn't pay close attention and that this extra step of manually removing the anti-freeze from the filter canister should be done each and every time you dewinterize before filling the fresh water tank.

Your thoughts and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! RM Drifter
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes you have to manually dump canister then flush then remove again and install filter.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks Turbs.

To be absolutely clear: When I winterize I'm removing the canister, draining, and then it fills with antifreeze as does the rest of the plumbing system apart from the hot water boiler.

Then when I dewinterize, I remove the canister again, drain the antifreeze, and then put the filter in and fill with fresh water. Correct?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Thanks Turbs.

To be absolutely clear: When I winterize I'm removing the canister, draining, and then it fills with antifreeze as does the rest of the plumbing system apart from the hot water boiler.

Then when I dewinterize, I remove the canister again, drain the antifreeze, and then put the filter in and fill with fresh water. Correct?
All correct but the last step.
You need to sanitize fw system before installing filter.

1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water.
Run all taps showers and stools till bleach can be smelled.
Let sit over night then drain fw tank and refill with clean water.
Flush lines out then remove canister and install filter.

Also make sure wh is still by passed through all sanitizing then when you install filter put wh in summer mode and make sure you fill it before turning on.

Turbs
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Thanks again--the forum is great, and I'm really thankful to have a place to ask my "newbie" questions.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Thanks again--the forum is great, and I'm really thankful to have a place to ask my "newbie" questions.
Never a problem!