Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Unhappy first time winterization

Hello All,
looking for a little advice. I am a first time RV owner, having bought a brand new Shamrock this past spring. Did not fill or use fresh water all season, only a little use in the bathroom. Upon preparing for winter, went to local dumping station to empty out, I filled the fresh tank in order to flush everything. Turned the pump on to flush toilet and such, but am not getting any water flow. When switching it on, I can hear it running, but don't want to leave it running for fear of damaging the pump. Is there something wrong or am I just missing the obvious?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankenstein View Post
Hello All,
looking for a little advice. I am a first time RV owner, having bought a brand new Shamrock this past spring. Did not fill or use fresh water all season, only a little use in the bathroom. Upon preparing for winter, went to local dumping station to empty out, I filled the fresh tank in order to flush everything. Turned the pump on to flush toilet and such, but am not getting any water flow. When switching it on, I can hear it running, but don't want to leave it running for fear of damaging the pump. Is there something wrong or am I just missing the obvious?
First step is you must pump out the system of air and it takes a few minutes of pumping. Shurflow the pump maker brags the pump can run "forever" dry. Reason being its a rubber diaphram design with no metallic contact. No wear, no heat no damage. You may also may be filling the hotwater tank 6 or 10 gallon, that takes time also. One other check, the pumps are often fitted with a winterization suction hose. If the suction is lined up to the AF hose the tank will not be able to furnish the water. Its locate where you hear it, not sure of your unit but can be accessed inside or outside compartment, based on unit design. I've had it both ways. Find the hose and follow it back to the pump, you'll come across the 3 way valve if fitted. You really should seach "winterize" or similar this forum for many more tips.

Part A is the easiest check, then B.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Didn't see any hoses, but I will check. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Let's see if we can narrow this down.

Is there a winterizing kit or valve on the pump that is set to winterize the system rather than draw water from the FW tank?

Is the hot water heater empty? An empty tank takes awhile to fill before you will get water at the faucets. If you don't want it filled, than make sure its bypassed correctly. If you do want it filled, than flip the release valve to let out air as it fills.

Is there enough water in the FW tank to be above the intake hose?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

There is a valve on each line hot and cold, as well as one in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120930_152317.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	20059  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Hello All,
If you are not priming you most likely have an air leak on the suction side.
Check your fittings for tightness. Finger tight should be fine but make sure they are not loose at all.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Let pump run for five minutes.. Can hear water but nothing at tap. Am I just being impatient?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Let pump run for five minutes.. Can hear water but nothing at tap. Am I just being impatient?
Ah! Then it is filling the hot water tank like the others have said.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

I will let it run a little longer then. Thanks for the help. Feel kjnd of dumb with all the questions. :-/
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Continuing to run pump.. Still nothing. How long should I expect it to take?