Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Flagstaff 831BHDS Outside Kitchen

I have discovered that the sink drain on my outside kitchen is draining into the blackwater tank. I know this because I had sewer backed up into the sink and you can also smell the odor of the blackwater. I have not spoke to the dealer about this yet. Has anyone else has this issue? Can anyone tell me if this is considered proper plumbing for the outside kitchen?
__________________

__________________
rkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rsgtivr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 433
Due to the location of most outdoor kitchens. It would not be feasible to drain to the grey tank. The kitchens are often near or behind the bathroom and the black tank is located directly below the stool. You would need to put in a small holding tank with a pump to get up and over into the grey tank, so they just did the easy road and put the drain to the nearest waste holding tank. This is common practice it seems.
__________________

__________________
TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Looking at the floorplan, it appears that they must have piped it to the nearest tank, which is the black tank. The piping for the grey tank shared by the bathroom and kitchen is only a few feet further.

I'd be raising a stink (no pun intended) with Forest River...no way this is acceptable.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rsgtivr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 433
Looking at the layout, the OK sink is on the far end of the trailer. You would have to go over the black tank to get to the grey. Water can't flow up or level even to get that distance to the grey, so you would need to pump it from another holding tank under the OK sink. There is too much extra money involved in that route, as well as an extra tank, for them to do that. I can concur, it SHOULD be done that way, but how many things do we notice SHOULD be done a certain way on our campers and is done on the cheap? If you wanted to do it right, you could mod it in the way I posted or do like some do and just pipe it to a bucket under the TT and dump when full.
__________________
TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks for your comments. I did speak to Forest River yesterday about the issue. They did confirm this is the correct plumbing per the building spec of this Flagstaff. However that doesn't make it correct for me. I can do nothing now because I own it and will have to deal with the issue. It troubles me to think we wash dishes and prepare food where black water could be present. Get this.....Forest Rivers comments were; we added two traps to that drain line so you show never get any odor. Still doesn't make it right for me. So, anyone thinking of purchasing a unit with outdoor kitchen should question your dealer about this problem.
__________________
rkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ironj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
Rvguy (prime time rep ) and i covered this at length recently....there is no cost effective nor ' easy ' solution. I know of no similar layout where it does not work that way. My trailer was delivered with a huge sticker in the sink saying it drains to black...

Another lacrosse owner did modify his to drain into an external bucket.....maybe thats an option for you?
__________________
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmiller View Post
Thanks for your comments. I did speak to Forest River yesterday about the issue. They did confirm this is the correct plumbing per the building spec of this Flagstaff. However that doesn't make it correct for me. I can do nothing now because I own it and will have to deal with the issue. It troubles me to think we wash dishes and prepare food where black water could be present. Get this.....Forest Rivers comments were; we added two traps to that drain line so you show never get any odor. Still doesn't make it right for me. So, anyone thinking of purchasing a unit with outdoor kitchen should question your dealer about this problem.
Do you realize that your home drains are hooked the same way, especially if you have a septic tank. With 2 traps, if you keep water in them, there is no way for smell to come from the tank.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
You maybe correct about the septic tank backing up into the house and I think you are correct that the basic plumbing design is the same. However, if your septic tank at home backs up into your house then the water would flow out of the toilet before it ever gets the sink trap. The elevation of sinks alone would prevent overflow into the sink before the toilet overflows into the floor.
__________________
rkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Do you realize that your home drains are hooked the same way, especially if you have a septic tank. With 2 traps, if you keep water in them, there is no way for smell to come from the tank.
Dunnnc is correct.
Your (grey) water at home goes to the same place as your (black) . Especially with a septic system.
Your bathroom sink in your home runs into the same pipe that your toilet does.
The only reason you had the (smell)
Is because you failed to monitor your waste water levels and they backed up into the sink. The only reason it didn't back up into toilet is because there's a shut off plate.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmiller View Post
You maybe correct about the septic tank backing up into the house and I think you are correct that the basic plumbing design is the same. However, if your septic tank at home backs up into your house then the water would flow out of the toilet before it ever gets the sink trap. The elevation of sinks alone would prevent overflow into the sink before the toilet overflows into the floor.
Agree with you, but I was assuming (there's that word again) that the op was going to empty the tank occasionally and not wait til it backed up into the sink.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.