Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Flagstaff 831BHDS Outside Kitchen

I have discovered that the sink drain on my outside kitchen is draining into the blackwater tank. I know this because I had sewer backed up into the sink and you can also smell the odor of the blackwater. I have not spoke to the dealer about this yet. Has anyone else has this issue? Can anyone tell me if this is considered proper plumbing for the outside kitchen?
rkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Due to the location of most outdoor kitchens. It would not be feasible to drain to the grey tank. The kitchens are often near or behind the bathroom and the black tank is located directly below the stool. You would need to put in a small holding tank with a pump to get up and over into the grey tank, so they just did the easy road and put the drain to the nearest waste holding tank. This is common practice it seems.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the floorplan, it appears that they must have piped it to the nearest tank, which is the black tank. The piping for the grey tank shared by the bathroom and kitchen is only a few feet further.

I'd be raising a stink (no pun intended) with Forest River...no way this is acceptable.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Looking at the layout, the OK sink is on the far end of the trailer. You would have to go over the black tank to get to the grey. Water can't flow up or level even to get that distance to the grey, so you would need to pump it from another holding tank under the OK sink. There is too much extra money involved in that route, as well as an extra tank, for them to do that. I can concur, it SHOULD be done that way, but how many things do we notice SHOULD be done a certain way on our campers and is done on the cheap? If you wanted to do it right, you could mod it in the way I posted or do like some do and just pipe it to a bucket under the TT and dump when full.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments. I did speak to Forest River yesterday about the issue. They did confirm this is the correct plumbing per the building spec of this Flagstaff. However that doesn't make it correct for me. I can do nothing now because I own it and will have to deal with the issue. It troubles me to think we wash dishes and prepare food where black water could be present. Get this.....Forest Rivers comments were; we added two traps to that drain line so you show never get any odor. Still doesn't make it right for me. So, anyone thinking of purchasing a unit with outdoor kitchen should question your dealer about this problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

Rvguy (prime time rep ) and i covered this at length recently....there is no cost effective nor ' easy ' solution. I know of no similar layout where it does not work that way. My trailer was delivered with a huge sticker in the sink saying it drains to black...

Another lacrosse owner did modify his to drain into an external bucket.....maybe thats an option for you?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmiller View Post
Thanks for your comments. I did speak to Forest River yesterday about the issue. They did confirm this is the correct plumbing per the building spec of this Flagstaff. However that doesn't make it correct for me. I can do nothing now because I own it and will have to deal with the issue. It troubles me to think we wash dishes and prepare food where black water could be present. Get this.....Forest Rivers comments were; we added two traps to that drain line so you show never get any odor. Still doesn't make it right for me. So, anyone thinking of purchasing a unit with outdoor kitchen should question your dealer about this problem.
Do you realize that your home drains are hooked the same way, especially if you have a septic tank. With 2 traps, if you keep water in them, there is no way for smell to come from the tank.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

You maybe correct about the septic tank backing up into the house and I think you are correct that the basic plumbing design is the same. However, if your septic tank at home backs up into your house then the water would flow out of the toilet before it ever gets the sink trap. The elevation of sinks alone would prevent overflow into the sink before the toilet overflows into the floor.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Do you realize that your home drains are hooked the same way, especially if you have a septic tank. With 2 traps, if you keep water in them, there is no way for smell to come from the tank.
Dunnnc is correct.
Your (grey) water at home goes to the same place as your (black) . Especially with a septic system.
Your bathroom sink in your home runs into the same pipe that your toilet does.
The only reason you had the (smell)
Is because you failed to monitor your waste water levels and they backed up into the sink. The only reason it didn't back up into toilet is because there's a shut off plate.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmiller View Post
You maybe correct about the septic tank backing up into the house and I think you are correct that the basic plumbing design is the same. However, if your septic tank at home backs up into your house then the water would flow out of the toilet before it ever gets the sink trap. The elevation of sinks alone would prevent overflow into the sink before the toilet overflows into the floor.
Agree with you, but I was assuming (there's that word again) that the op was going to empty the tank occasionally and not wait til it backed up into the sink.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #11

You guys beat me to it....I was thinking all along there was a blockage in the system.....but I guess yeah...if you over fill the black , it does not matter how many traps you have....it's not intended to work that way...

Fir the record I have NEVER had a smell or issue with mine....alas , I never let the black get completely full either......
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

worlds problems solved!
Have fun!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #13

Since we were curious where our outside kitchen sink drained, we did a test when all tanks were empty. Put a garden hose down the outside kitchen sink and monitored which tank filled up. Drum roll please...............our outside kitchen sink drains to the.........gray tank!.

Not that it really matters a whole lot to us. We don't use the outside sink as much as the inside sink it seems. Either way, when the tank gets full, it gets emptied.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My outside kitchen drains to its very own grey tank.
Inside kitchen drains to its own grey tank.
Bathroom sink and shower drains to its own grey tank.

Black is toilet only

1 Fresh tank 42 gallon
3 Grey tanks 126 gallon
1 Black tank 42 gallon
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My outside kitchen drains to its very own grey tank.
Inside kitchen drains to its own grey tank.
Bathroom sink and shower drains to its own grey tank.

Black is toilet only

1 Fresh tank 42 gallon
3 Grey tanks 126 gallon
1 Black tank 42 gallon
Mispoken, your Black tank is YELLOW ONLY!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Mispoken, your Black tank is YELLOW ONLY!
We use our toilet for both minor and major "transactions." I don't do pit toilets and the flush toilets are usually too far away. The world is much too afraid of poo, IMHO.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
We use our toilet for both minor and major "transactions." I don't do pit toilets and the flush toilets are usually too far away. The world is much too afraid of poo, IMHO.

Was referring to f1100turbo only. He supposedly forbids #2 in the comode. We use ours like a normal toilet except for the paper which goes in a special garbage can. I take care of the tank, DW takes care of the garbage can.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your right yellow tank only Lol!
Not budging either!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #19

Ive always used the ' crap ` outta my toilet, then flushed the 'crap' outta it with black tank flush......never could be bothered to walk to ' camp facilities'.....

Plus all my good reading material is in MY bathroom already....lol