Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

I'm with herk, a few seconds w/out water and your elements fryed. I have done a continuity test across the conections (with power killed to water heater) on the element to find I had a burnt element.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

My buddy found out how long it actually takes.

He was cleaning out the crud in the tank while winterizing and had the power on. While wiping up the water and crud from around the water heater he flipped the power switch on by mistake. Sparks immediately shot out of the anode/drain hole.

There was no "seconds" in his case, it was immediate.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Boy i bet that was suprizing! Kinda like a light bulb element with no vacume
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

His email was VERY descriptive.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #15

It works with the propane just fine. But my permanent campsite comes with electric so of course, I want to use all that!

So I go to camping world...they think their replacement element is worth $36.00. I bought it.....then off to Home Depot where they have an extremely similar looking heating element for $9.

The difference I can see is the suburban element is flatish on the end. Do I have to use camping world? Are their other options? Pricey place it seems. Help!

Onthrvr.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthrvr View Post
It works with the propane just fine. But my permanent campsite comes with electric so of course, I want to use all that!

So I go to camping world...they think their replacement element is worth $36.00. I bought it.....then off to Home Depot where they have an extremely similar looking heating element for $9.

The difference I can see is the suburban element is flatish on the end. Do I have to use camping world? Are their other options? Pricey place it seems. Help!

Onthrvr.
Nope,use the Home Depot one. Youroo!!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthrvr View Post

Onthrvr.
Just make sure the home depot one is 110 volts (not 220) and about the same length and wattage.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

I believe you've been told everything except to open the pressure relieve valve. It's located behind the outside grate towards the top of the panel. It is a valve with a metal lever. Your hot water tank at home has one just like it. If you open that valve and no water comes out the bypass valve on the back of the tank is closed and your heater tank has no water in it. It's closed so you can bypass the tank when using antifreeze to winterize your water lines. There's no need in putting 6 gallons of antifreeze in the water tank. Opening up a hot water faucet inside won't tell you if the water tank is full. Why do I know ?? Because I did it. Also there is a switch on the lower left corner near the element which is to turn on the electric element. It should be black. Some campers are set up with two switches for electric water heat. One is outside on the heater and the other is inside the camper. Most leave the outside switch on and use the inside switch when they need hot water. Don't forget to switch the outside switch off when you winterize because you are going to empty the tank. You may forget and plug in to 110-V to charge your batteries as I did and since I don't have the inside switch I almost burned out the element. There was just enough water in the bottom of the tank to prevent wasting the element. If the tank is empty it could burn out in as little as 30-60 seconds. I know because I did it.
TeJay
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #19

No the pressure valve bubbles and flows out with plenty of water. So, I know I'm good there. I will. Go back to the Home Depot tomorrow and pick the nine dollar element up. Sounds wonderful to me.

Now, later tomorrow ill know if all this has worked. I will report back.

Where else can one buy things for the camper? I need the get the rock and rolling tuned down. They say chocks and scissor jacks. What say y'all?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #20

There are lots of places online for camping, just do a simple Google search. Locally, you are of course limited to RV dealers. Also most Walmart have a larger selection of accessories and common things, like sewage hoses, connectors, etc.