Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Retired US Navy Diver

Flushing Black Water Tank

My V-lite has a built in black water tank flush connection. I have used it several times. So usually I shut the water off feeding the TT and bring it around and connect to the flush connection and turn the water back on. When doing it like this, I am then using the water pressure regulator for the trailer. Should I be flushing the tank w/ the water pressure regulator in place or should I remove the regulator and use the full force of the water supply connection?
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

I carry one of these

Name:   hose splitter.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  13.3 KB
one side for the fresh water connection (white hose with pressure regulator) and the other side for miscellaneous use (green hose no pressure regulator) including black tank flushing.

However, and more importantly, I believe it is recommended you don't use your drinking water hose for black tank flush to avoid potential contamination of your TT clean water supply.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

OMG, Never use your fresh water hose for the turbo flush connection.

The location of the check valve in the turbo flush is such that when you shut off the water, pressure in the black water flush line could force E. Coli contaminated water into your drinking water hose. You can see this when you disconnect the hose from the fitting and water runs out the bib fitting on the camper. This is why campgrounds typically put backflow preventers on their water spigots. If E. Coli bacteria gets into the campground water supply you can shut down a campground for months.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81275-1029-M...&storeId=10151

Always use the non-potable water hose at the dump station to hook up to the turboflush connection. If you MUST use a potable water source to flush your black tank in an emergency, you will need to carry a brass one way check valve and a dedicated gray water hose for the purpose. Always sanitize the hose, connections, check valve, and the campground spigot afterwards with bleach.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
OMG, Never use your fresh water hose for the turbo flush connection.

The location of the check valve in the turbo flush is such that when you shut off the water, pressure in the black water flush line could force E. Coli contaminated water into your drinking water hose. You can see this when you disconnect the hose from the fitting and water runs out the bib fitting on the camper. This is why campgrounds typically put backflow preventers on their water spigots. If E. Coli bacteria gets into the campground water supply you can shut down a campground for months.

Shop Mister Landscaper Back Flow Prevention Valve at Lowes.com

Always use the non-potable water hose at the dump station to hook up to the turboflush connection. If you MUST use a potable water source to flush your black tank in an emergency, you will need to carry a brass one way check valve and a dedicated gray water hose for the purpose. Always sanitize the hose, connections, check valve, and the campground spigot afterwards with bleach.
Well said! The only thing I might add is wear disposable plastic/rubber gloves when working with the sewer hoses. When you are done handling the sewer hoses spray the bleach water on your bare hands

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Retired US Navy Diver

So if I pull into a RV site w/ freshwater hook up and I use the T connection Frankm uses, the side supplying the black water tank flush should have a check valve.

Yes I do wear disposable gloves.

I will also purchase a different colored hose for this purpose.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #6

I have a larger diameter Black hose I use for the flushing off of a gated Y valve like shown with no regulator. I also place and inline valve on the end of the hose with a 45* adapter. When you think your tank is clean, turn that valve on and off a few time quickly (but not to quickly, don't want to water hammer the CG). The pressure knocks all kinds of things loose (I use the clear 45 at my sewer connection). I also control water flow at the end of the hose at the TT, helping to prevent any backflow into the hose. I disconnect the shout off black hose from thee TT, open the valve to let the water flow, THEN shut the Y gate valve. That is all that that hose and fittings are used for.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
Well said! The only thing I might add is wear disposable plastic/rubber gloves when working with the sewer hoses. When you are done handling the sewer hoses spray the bleach water on your bare hands
I carry, Nitrile gloves, cans of Lysol Spray and Clorox Bleach Towelettes in the same compartment closest to the sewer/turbo flush connections. I don't use Clorox Beach solution since it will destroy stuff if it "gets loose" in the compartment. We do have Clorox in the Laundry area for sanitizing if needed.

The VERY last thing you need on a camping trip is a case of intestinal bug sickness. They can take weeks to clear up.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gktsuda1956 View Post
So if I pull into a RV site w/ freshwater hook up and I use the T connection Frankm uses, the side supplying the black water tank flush should have a check valve.

Yes I do wear disposable gloves.

I will also purchase a different colored hose for this purpose.
You MUST add a check valve assembly to the side of the Y fitting that you are going to hook up to the turboflush. I am not a big fan of Y adapters used for this purpose. I do carry one in order to share a spigot when needed or as a dog washing station without disconnecting the rig.
(I still use the check valve on that hose)

I have a gray colored 10 foot hose that is kept in the truck bed and it has a brass check valve on it permanently fastened with it's set screw (that is why if you find a brass one it is preferable to the plastic type).

Remember that a gate ball valve is not a check valve. If both valves are open at the same time water can flow in all three directions depending on a very slight pressure differential. Someone flushing the hopper (or a faucet) at the wrong time can potentially draw some contaminated water into your camper's water system.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I am always concerned about how clean a faucet is when hooking up our camper. Before I hook up I will:

Run the water to the ground for a minute or so.

Pour IPA over the faucet outlet (just a dab will do it) , and set that puppy on fire. (Being extremely careful ).

Run the water again to flush more.

Wipe the outlet inside and out with Scope.

I know this may sound anal, but I have no idea if the previous campers did their sewer duties before unhooking their water supply with unwashed hands.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I may be old, but I think I still recognize sarcasm.
IPA? IsoPropyl Alcohol?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Lou, my post was not meant to be sarcastic. I am very concerned with how clean the faucet is left by previous campers.

Yes, IPA is isopropyl alcohol.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I was just kidding. One can not stress enough how important cleanliness is around the camp site; especially the potable water. Sickness from E. Coli can spread through a campground like wild fire and ruin everyone's vacation.

I once saw a camper (at a military campground no less) allow his dog to pee on the potable water spigot at another site. I was furious and just got a "shrug" from the guilty b&^&^%.

Now I am ticked off all over again.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
Retired US Navy Diver

Wow, you all opened my eyes up to things I just took for granted. I'm always very concerned about secondary spread of contaminants. Can't stand eating at buffets. I've heard of inspections they've performed and found fecal matter on the serving spoon handles and in the food. I've witness too many men walking out of the bathrooms w/out washing. In fact just last week I was washing my hands at a Walmart and an employee used the toilet and walked out w/ me hollering at him. By the time I got out he was gone. I saw his name tag and had a description so I asked to speak to a supervisor and reported him.

I'll be set up next trip w/ check valve, cleaning/decon solution and a lot better sense of what I'm doing. I know I never trust the guy before me. Whenever I leave a bathroom I don't touch the faucet to turn off or the door handle to exit without a paper towel to protect my hand. It only makes sense that I would also clean my connection at a public RV camp. Thanks everyone.

Tags
black water