Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Flying poop?

Has anyone ever hit a pothole so hard with their travel trailer that the sliding door opened on a Thetford toilet and poop came upwards and flying out? Is it possible that a bump can be so hard that it can actuate the floor flush lever and allow poop to come flying up?

This morning I took our TT to the dealer for some warranty repair work and when I got there, there was poop and toilet paper in the bowl that definitely wasn't there before I started the ride. The only explanation I could think of was hitting a pothole.
Bangback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

What a crappy situation to be in!

sorry, had to!

Sounds very unlikely to me. I would think if it was in the tank it would be sort of stuck to the bottom unless the tank had water in it and it was flo... floa... floating (sorry I was trying to hold down my lunch).

Did you happen to stop by a gas station on the way? Maybe someone really need to go and jumped in and did their business while you were getting gas! haha
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Honestly, I can't imagine how that could ever happen. And, like beerbuggy says, if your black tank was completely full --I mean right up to the seals maybe, just maybe that event could happen (but I doubt it).
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuggy View Post
What a crappy situation to be in!

sorry, had to!

Sounds very unlikely to me. I would think if it was in the tank it would be sort of stuck to the bottom unless the tank had water in it and it was flo... floa... floating (sorry I was trying to hold down my lunch).

Did you happen to stop by a gas station on the way? Maybe someone really need to go and jumped in and did their business while you were getting gas! haha
It's a new 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS, out for the second time, so I wouldn't expect it to be a toilet malfunction since it's new. We had just drained the black tank too the afternoon before at the RV dump station, but we were bringing it in because they reversed the black tank flush lines into the check valve at the factory. When hooking up a hose to the black tank flush, nothing happens.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

Not sure if this would apply to you, but I have - on more than one occasion now - opened my toilet to make sure the seal is holding, and found a nice little "Surprise" there from one of my kids. Generally it's of the #1 variety - but I'm sure one of these days it'll be the other!

Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Not sure if this would apply to you, but I have - on more than one occasion now - opened my toilet to make sure the seal is holding, and found a nice little "Surprise" there from one of my kids. Generally it's of the #1 variety - but I'm sure one of these days it'll be the other!

I know the RV was definitely locked and "not used" before the trip. Theoretically, I guess a bump could be hard enough to slightly push the flush lever down and slide the door open, and in that same bump, excrement can pop up. The black tank was completely drained though, so it must have been a big bump. Maybe it's not a bad idea to put some foam or packing material underneath the foot lever so it doesn't happen again?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

Perhaps the phantom pooper paid a visit?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Can't happen if the black tank is empty unless someone used it just before you left and didn't flush it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Perhaps the phantom pooper paid a visit?
^^ x2
Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Can't happen if the black tank is empty unless someone used it just before you left and didn't flush it.
X2 and, again, for a "bump" to be that severe, I'd be more worried about the broken axel you most assuredly would have, than flying poop
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #11

Forgot to flush ?