Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Forrester fresh water tank fill questions

Purchased a 2015 Forester 2501. When filling the fresh water tank gravity fill there seems like there must be a check valve or obstruction in the line. It's kind of a pain and mess pressing the hose tip against the tank input to creat enough pressure for water to fill. Anyway around this mess?
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

E-Z FILL HOSE

Walmart may have something like it.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyneil View Post
Purchased a 2015 Forester 2501. When filling the fresh water tank gravity fill there seems like there must be a check valve or obstruction in the line. It's kind of a pain and mess pressing the hose tip against the tank input to creat enough pressure for water to fill. Anyway around this mess?
You need to find the (Kink/restriction) in your fill hose. Pressurizing at the fill Inlet (Even with water squirting out the sides) can cause the FWTank to become a (Big Water Balloon)! Damage to Tank/Supports)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

I don't think the tank is under pressure, there is a vent next to the water tank fill. I'm strll wondering about a check valve, and why would you need one there. I have owned 2 other MH that had no restrictions to gravity fill.
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

By your own admissions you are (Holding hose against the Gravity fill inlet). There is NO check valve on your Gravity fill,you have restriction in the area between (Fill & Tank) or restriction on your Tank Vent. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Hey Folks, I have the same question. I'm new to RVing and have a 2015 2501. I can find no instructions on how to fill the fresh water tank. Service rep at the dealership pointed out where to fill it. I didn't ask a lot of questions on that because I figured it would be obvious... but now that I am doing it... it's a mess.

On the 2501, the fill hose is about a 6' drinking water hose with a male threaded connector at the end. The other end is sealed to piping that houses the filter/etc.

Holding a garden hose (male threaded end) against the fill hose (male threaded end) just sprays water all over.

What is the "correct" way to fill the fresh water tank on a Forester 2501? What am I supposed to connect the fill hose to?

Thanks!
mabu_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

This is what we use:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40003-Wa...co+rv+products

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

Check the fill hose between the fill connection and the tank. My 2301 had the same problem. When I opened up the bed platform to install a surge protector I found that the fill hose had a slight uphill slant to it between the fill and tank. Apparently it's enough to create backpressure and prevent more water coming in. I straightened out the hose so it all runs downhill or at the very least level and it fills no problem now.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

Thanks, Sharon and Captain Jack!

I may not be phrasing my question right. As Lefty mentioned, in order to "fill" the fresh water tank, I have to hold the male garden hose end to the male fill hose end... and that just doesn't sound like a standard operating procedure to fill a fresh water tank. In fact, I am not convinced that this fill hose is a "gravity" type. Spilt water would travel down the fill hose and drop inside the compartment. I would suspect that the hose is made for a connection of some kind... but what kind?

Sharon, I've been looking at that fill adapter, but the tube on it is 5/8"... the fill hose on the 2501 is 5/8" at the most... so I don't think it will fit.

Captain Skip, Is your fill hose also terminated in a male threaded connector? how do you connect the fresh water source to your fill hose?

Thanks Again! Trip is in two days... so I need to start the sanitization process tonight.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Summer2Go

In my Roo I am trying to sanitize, and the air won't purge front the lines. I've been playing with it for a half hour, and I still get air in the sinks. I followed the directions in the manual that came with the camper.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabu_x View Post
Thanks, Sharon and Captain Jack!

I may not be phrasing my question right. As Lefty mentioned, in order to "fill" the fresh water tank, I have to hold the male garden hose end to the male fill hose end... and that just doesn't sound like a standard operating procedure to fill a fresh water tank. In fact, I am not convinced that this fill hose is a "gravity" type. Spilt water would travel down the fill hose and drop inside the compartment. I would suspect that the hose is made for a connection of some kind... but what kind?

Sharon, I've been looking at that fill adapter, but the tube on it is 5/8"... the fill hose on the 2501 is 5/8" at the most... so I don't think it will fit.

Captain Skip, Is your fill hose also terminated in a male threaded connector? how do you connect the fresh water source to your fill hose?

Thanks Again! Trip is in two days... so I need to start the sanitization process tonight.
Mine has male threads but they're much larger than the hose threads. There's a threaded cap that goes on them. The hose actually fits inside the water fill for an inch or so. To make life easier I bought one of the fill extensions to attach to the end of the garden hose.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #12

Aha... ok... I may have a different setup. On the 2501, the fill hose attached to the pump/filter housing is a smaller diameter than a garden hose

Thanks Captain!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabu_x View Post
Aha... ok... I may have a different setup. On the 2501, the fill hose attached to the pump/filter housing is a smaller diameter than a garden hose

Thanks Captain!

Are you sure you are not trying to fill via the winterizing port? My fill is on the passenger side exterior. Black cap with a large enough opening to stick the hose in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #14

MrJoe, apparently that was exactly what I was trying to do. So I found the problem and the problem is that I am an idiot.

All fixed.

Well... I'll probably continue to be an idiot, but at least I am now an idiot with a full tank of fresh water.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

I have a Coachman Concord which I purchased new in 2013 (I am a true novice). I was able to fill the potable water tank with no issues. This year I have had a problem When I connect to the potable water connection nothing is going into the tank at all the water runs for a while and then it just drains out under the chassis. It almost appears there is a valve not open somewhere. Any ideas?
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank