Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

foul odor in the bathroom day after camping trips

SOOOooooo, fourth time out and every time we return a day later the bathroom smells like a few kids had pee wars in it. I tired all kinds of Voo Doo on it, even bought some special must have tools that my last camper never needed. . yet a day after my last trip the 2014 32 bhds smells like an out house in mid july. My fear was if i didn't soon take out the toilet it would be leeching sour urine and feces into the floor. so today i did. One person early on warned me to do so to check the floor seal. well it wasn't the floor seal but not far from it. the toilet case halves are leaking where the bottom clam shell is bolted to the top and raw sewage is collecting in the bottom shell. which has a large opening in the back of the toilet for stinking fumes to run free. I opened the toilet and could not smell any odor in it, i found the vent was only on by a thread but smelled fresh. the sinks and tub were fresh smelling as was the grey water that i drained out into my yard. I plan on calling dometic as this is a known product problem and hope they will send me a new toilet. I dont let the local RV store work on my stuff because from a good friends experience they are not very reliable and have a tendancie to deliver unfinished products. 40 miles is toooo far to drive for some sub standard service.

this toilet is a weak substandard piece of equipment that just sitting on it i knew wouldn't make it a year.

I know campers are built light and cheap but a 200lb man is probably average for today's camper.

the not so durable dometic 300

the collection of raw sewage just sloshing around in the lower bowl. I imagine there is an o ring seal that is pinched or does not completely engage and leaks when somneone is sitting on it.

the floor gasket flange

up close of the gasket

the data label

Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

This has been discussed extensively in other threads (such as this one: Dometic model 300 odor problem and replacement). Dometic will be happy to replace it for you.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

yeah i know, i cant believe i didn't come across it the first time when i searched for it..But its on the road to recovery now. Glad to have solid fix for it now.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

so i installed the new toilet, filled it with a dye and will see what happens other than staining the bowl.

i tried to fix the old bowl. the problem is the o-ring needs a spacer or an annular groove to keep it parallel. and or the tube clearance needs to be decreased.

you can see the stain of where the old o-ring was. it rolled upon installation and that almost guarantees a leak.

I have all ideas when you sit on it is when it leaks. and when you lean to wipe your tail it really creates a problem. I don't see the new toilet being any better but we shall see.

i made a half heated attempt to stay in the spirit of a forest river employee and sealed it with silicone. it still leaked. Maybe i needed more silicone.

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

I think Dometic is replacing the 300 with a 310 or 320. I believe they are sending it, postage and all free to the customer. The 310 has a higher than normal seat and the 320 is a standard height, I believe. Both are ceramic.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think Dometic is replacing the 300 with a 310 or 320. I believe they are sending it, postage and all free to the customer. The 310 has a higher than normal seat and the 320 is a standard height, I believe. Both are ceramic.
Dometic fixed the 300 and the new version of that is what they are shipping (per other posters on this forum). The 310 is the standard ceramic bowl toilet. The 320 is elongated version of 310.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #7

Barry is correct. you get a New and improved 300.

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, roo