Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

Exclamation FR Sunseeker 3050S Paradox

Having wintered in WA years ago in an Arctic Fox I am somewhat dismayed at the design of our new 2017 FR Sunseeker 3050S.

Trying to balance the winter heating requirements is a chore. Have to balance the propane furnace cost with protecting the water pump and water filter, (which they placed in one of the back outside storage compartments rather than inside under the bed), granted there is a small hose from the furnace behind the plastic separator in the compartment, however, the only way to heat it is with the furnace.

I can't use a small heater under the coach because it would keep the 'Arctic Pac' tank heaters from coming on.

Since the Days Inn, here in Ellensburg, has frequent water shut-downs due to bad water piping, we need some water in our fresh water tank so we cannot drain the FW tank and water pump.

One plan is to shut down the shore water at night and use the fresh water system frequently, (the water pump won't come on if the shore water is on) and use the shore water during the day, when the temp goes above freezing.

This will minimize the propane cost but still leaves the coach quite cold, (since we cannot use our oil filled radiators below freezing as it causes the furness not to come on.

The bedroom is in the back along with the thermostat and we do not have thermal pane windows, (back window is the fire escape).

Any thoughts?

Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
Having wintered in WA years ago in an Arctic Fox I am somewhat dismayed at the design of our new 2017 FR Sunseeker 3050S.

Trying to balance the winter heating requirements is a chore. Have to balance the propane furnace cost with protecting the water pump and water filter, (which they placed in one of the back outside storage compartments rather than inside under the bed), granted there is a small hose from the furnace behind the plastic separator in the compartment, however, the only way to heat it is with the furnace.

I can't use a small heater under the coach because it would keep the 'Arctic Pac' tank heaters from coming on.

Since the Days Inn, here in Ellensburg, has frequent water shut-downs due to bad water piping, we need some water in our fresh water tank so we cannot drain the FW tank and water pump.

One plan is to shut down the shore water at night and use the fresh water system frequently, (the water pump won't come on if the shore water is on) and use the shore water during the day, when the temp goes above freezing.

This will minimize the propane cost but still leaves the coach quite cold, (since we cannot use our oil filled radiators below freezing as it causes the furness not to come on.

The bedroom is in the back along with the thermostat and we do not have thermal pane windows, (back window is the fire escape).

Any thoughts?
I use an extend a stay kit and run the heater at 60 degrees at night along with the arctic Pac. This past January camping, it was 16 degrees over night. Used the elec oil filled heater during the day as needed. Ran propane heater at 70 during the day. Not a problem and used 20 lb bottle in about 8 days. That's also using propane for hot water along with the elec element. Hope this helps. 3100SS.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use an extend a stay kit and run the heater at 60 degrees at night along with the arctic Pac. This past January camping, it was 16 degrees over night. Used the elec oil filled heater during the day as needed. Ran propane heater at 70 during the day. Not a problem and used 20 lb bottle in about 8 days. That's also using propane for hot water along with the elec element. Hope this helps. 3100SS.
What is the "Extended Stay Kit'?
Just me and the Wife
Old 10-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
What is the "Extended Stay Kit'?
It ties into the propane line after the on/off valve but before the regulator. Comes with a hose to connect to a portable propane bottle of your size. Turn off the unit tank, hook up the line to the external tank and turn on. All set. Then you don't have to move the unit, just replace the portable tank. I have/use two 20 pounders. Use one then swap when empty and then exchange the empty one.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
It ties into the propane line after the on/off valve but before the regulator. Comes with a hose to connect to a portable propane bottle of your size. Turn off the unit tank, hook up the line to the external tank and turn on. All set. Then you don't have to move the unit, just replace the portable tank. I have/use two 20 pounders. Use one then swap when empty and then exchange the empty one.
Yes, I do have this setup now, it's hooked to a 120 gal AmeriGas tank.
Just me and the Wife

Tags
305, 3050s, sunseeker