Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Fresh Tank Fill When Hooked To City Water

As the title says, I have a 2014 Wildcat that has the gravity fill fresh tank. This weekend while hooked to the city water connection we noticed water leaking out of the fresh tank vent. The fresh tank was empty when we started. Not a huge issue we just unhooked the fresh tank and turned on the pump. Where is the check valve to prevent this problem? is the only check in the pump?

Yes, I did a search and came up with one post. I am looking for more information if possible.

Thanks
Jeepman71
Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a bad check valve.
Pretty common issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

https://www.google.ca/search?q=water...GqiVjwS14YTgDg
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

fonzie has given you way more than one post to read.

Yes, the check valve is built into the water pump.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I had this very same issue. It most likely occurred because I wasn't paying attention and ran my pump while hooked up to city water. This caused the pump's check valve to stick. You can see if it unsticks itself by just letting it fill the fresh tank and then turn off the city water and run off your pump. When the fresh tank empties, turn off the pump and turn on the city water again. It may work fine, if tank is still filling. Repeat the cycle while you working on replacing the pump.

It is repairable, however, its easier to just replace the pump. My unit is a 2016 bought in March 2015 and the pump issue occurred in summer 2017. I sent an email to the Forest River customer support (you can do this online at their site) and got a response within 24hrs. They shipped me a new pump and did not want the old one back. It came with instructions plus there are a lot of youtubes on how to make the change. Basically, its an easy swap out. It took me about a half-hour to do it.

In my case, the pump was behind a panel in my front storage bin. A few screws removed and you can then access behind the panel. You'll see the pump has a couple of hoses and a couple of wire connections (just take a cell phone pic before you start pulling it out). I unplugged the old one, dropped in the new you, looked at my pics and re-attached the hoses and wires.

I kept the old one to mess with. There's a youtube that shows how to take them apart and in-stick or repair the check valve and someday I'm gonna do that (my wife says stop collecting junk you never get around to fixin').
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

I had the same fill tube overflow problem

I had the same problem on the trailer that I have now and my previous trailer. The water pump on both trailers was a Shurfo Revolution 4008 Water Pump. Shurflo sent a replacement check valve for the first on and it did not fix it. I have not tried to fix the current problem but I believe it is inherent with that model of pump as it has a water feedback to make it flow a steady stream. I am going to install a free standing check valve in the water line just ahead of the inlet to the water pump or just put up with it. Just make sure that the overflow doesn't leak back into the unit behind the fill valve like mine did until I wrapped the tube with silicone tape and double clamped the inside fill hose to the tube.
Hope this helps
Dan
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, tank, water