Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #1

fresh water capacity

Good afternoon everyone.
I have a 8319ss with questionable water supply. I have been complaining about the tank sucking air a about a 1/4 tank (meter would read 1/3) took it back to the dealer to have repaired (drained about 8 gallons out of drain). They repaired the unit saying it was a sensor issue. I know it was not as it had 8 gallons in it prior to the repair. now it reads empty when I start to suck air. so I guess they fixed the problem, right? so I open the drain, oops 8 gallons come out again . call dealer they tell me when it reads empty there is a 5 gallon reserve so you dont run out , I say" then wouldnt it not take the water out of the tank?" he says "no it is designed that way". so jist is I have a usable 30 gallon tank. not impressed with answers. does anyone else have problems with their fresh water supply cut short because of this apperent design?
trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

The tank level monitoring in campers is notoriously inaccurate, paticularly the black tank, due to sensor fouling. There's much more accurate monitoring system out there that will work with the existing wiring, e.g., See Level II. It won't allow any more water to be pumped from your fesh water tank...it will accurately display the % level that which the pump can no longer pump water. That is to do with the location of the discharge bung of the water tank. I doubt that anybody's set-up will completely empty the tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #3

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

My potable 45 gallon tank sensor reads "Full/Half/Empty" which corresponds, approximatly, to 35/20/5 gallons. When the sensor reads empty I have 5 *usable" gallons remaining. When the tank is actually empty, *then* I suck air.

Depending where the potable water out-flow pipe on your tank is located (Mine is near the bottom on the sidewall.) is where the water will stop being pulled into your system.