Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

fresh water drain

Hi,
So we took out our RV this weekend and with full hook-ups. The fresh water drain under the RV in the back by the leveler passenger side was dripping while the water was hooked up.

Seen this before and didn't think much about it. Everything worked inside, just not as much pressure as with the pump. I had an in-line filter and pressure regulator.

Does this seem right on this RV? Thanks
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

No it doesnt. I assume you mean low point drain, Or is is your fresh water tank drain. If full hook up, water should not have been going into your fresh water tank. Unless you stored some for travel.

If LPD this will not be such a big deal when on full hook up (not right) but you have plenty of water access. If boon docking this could waste precious water and pump would kick on regularly

Have had my LPD leak and was a simple matter of tightening the cap on the drain. There is a washer that is in that cap as well that might be missing or damaged.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
No it doesnt. I assume you mean low point drain, Or is is your fresh water tank drain. If full hook up, water should not have been going into your fresh water tank. Unless you stored some for travel.

If LPD this will not be such a big deal when on full hook up (not right) but you have plenty of water access. If boon docking this could waste precious water and pump would kick on regularly

Have had my LPD leak and was a simple matter of tightening the cap on the drain. There is a washer that is in that cap as well that might be missing or damaged.
LPD, there are one blue and one red one I think the red one is capped off. We have about 1/3 of a tank of water. not a big deal just wondering if this happens to others. Thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
LPD, there are one blue and one red one I think the red one is capped off. We have about 1/3 of a tank of water. not a big deal just wondering if this happens to others. Thanks
The blue one NEEDS a cap, as that is your cold line low point drain.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #5

both LPD's should have cap.. tight.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #6

Blue is cold water line drain and red is hot water line drain, and yes, both should have caps on them. Usually manuf. simply put a cap over the line end, and they crack or fall off.
Best bet is to simply get 2 on/off valves with "gator or sharkbite" slip on fittings, at any Lowes or Home Depot. Get em for a 1/2 inch line, slip em on and you'll never have to worry about leaks again.
Grumpaw

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Thanks for all your help. I tell people about this forum and how it is so helpful to people. I have only been an RV owner since 2012 (excluding my childhood), I learn things on here and every time I go out. I tell this to my Brother-in-law / sister-in-law that think they know more then I do, so funny...
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

The blue and red lines usually do not have anything to do with your fresh water tank. Their line drains only.
There should be another fresh water tank drain somewhere, probably already fitted with a drain cock or valve. You just have to search for it, or a member with a similar rig may chime in. It is usually (ha!!!) a white drain line exiting somewhare under your coack. I say usually cause the "experienced" line workers like to play hidey-seeky with some of this stuff.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While the blue hose and the red hose that are close together are typically the low point drains and both need to be capped, (or valved) I have seen other (single) BLUE PEX lines that were fresh tank drains and/or fresh tank overflow lines.

It also may be that you have a drain line that isn't capped and that is OK as there is often a valve in a water bay or storage area (above) that controls the draining.

Low point drain valves/lines without caps can look like this... (above the underbelly)

Or low point drains with caps (removed in the photo for draining)

Single fresh tank drain line with a valve...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
while the blue hose and the red hose that are close together are typically the low point drains and both need to be capped, (or valved) i have seen other (single) blue pex lines that were fresh tank drains and/or fresh tank overflow lines.

It also may be that you have a drain line that isn't capped and that is ok as there is often a valve in a water bay or storage area (above) that controls the draining.

Low point drain valves/lines without caps can look like this... (above the underbelly)

or low point drains with caps (removed in the photo for draining)

single fresh tank drain line with a valve...
this one is close to what is under my rv. Not sure if there is a shut off vavle inline with the caps ( one missing). Thanks
Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

That missing cap is where you are loosing water pressure IMO. But you would also loose pressure there if running from fresh tank using your pump.

I think I am right in saying that MOST come from factory with scew on caps with a washer insert on the ends of these. Most of the shutoff valves are added on by owners as a good modification.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Seńor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
I think I am right in saying that MOST come from factory with scew on caps with a washer insert on the ends of these. Most of the shutoff valves are added on by owners as a good modification.
When purchased my 3051 Forester only came with the red line capped. Good time as any to now modify w/shutoff valves, I guess.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #13

well it was always draining water then. Thats the cap you remove when winterizing and draining the system. .... unless there is a valve somewhere above that threaded end?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
When purchased my 3051 Forester only came with the red line capped. Good time as any to now modify w/shutoff valves, I guess.
So I guess they do that on all of them. I will look into a shut off valve for them.

Tags
drain, fresh water, water