Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Cool fresh water holding tank

I recently purchased a 2012 XLR Nitro 28' toy hauler and the fresh water holding tank has an "air vent" on the side near the top of the tank...it affects the amount of water your tank holds since the small plastic pipe is turned slightly downward so as you are filling the tank, when the water level reaches that air vent, water starts pouring out; if you are parked at a slight slant or driving on a road with a slant water pours out...is anyone else's trailer equipped with that?

2012 XLR Nitro 28' Toy hauler
2007 Ram 2500 4x4
bushgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

All tanks have an air vent, usually located right beside the filler.

The tank needs to be vented in order to equalize the pressure when you pump water out of it, otherwise a vacuum would be created and the pump wouldn't be able to pump water out for long.

When I fill the tank to the filler, some water comes out the vent too.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have to fill our tank slowly as to not have water purge from fill or overflow.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Our old trailer also had a vent at the filler tube, but, this one is situated on the side of the actual tank under the trailer about 2" down the side....so not only does it drain out, you know longer have 92 gallon holding tank as you loose the top 2" of space in the actual tank....
bushgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

Look at the fill location where you put the water in. There should be a vent real close with a screen over it. Mine was missing the hose fro the fitting on the tank to the vent on the filler. In fact the vent on the filler was filled with caulking! About 6ft of hose and a couple hose clamps and mine is now vented the way it should have been from the factory.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
Look at the fill location where you put the water in. There should be a vent real close with a screen over it. Mine was missing the hose fro the fitting on the tank to the vent on the filler. In fact the vent on the filler was filled with caulking! About 6ft of hose and a couple hose clamps and mine is now vented the way it should have been from the factory.
This is what I was going to suggest also. It definitely sounds like the vent hose may have come loose or was inadvertently left off at the factory. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to repair.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote