Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

Fresh water holding tank fill??????

I must be missing something here how in the h€££ do I put fresh water in the holding tank? My 93 Teton had a cap I could pour water into. If it's not gravity fed do I turn the handle to gravity while hooked up to the hose already in place? If so how can I EASILY get bleach in to sanitize and will it go threw the filter on the way into the tank?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	70259
Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

I can take more pictures if it helps? And have thick enough skin for anyone to point out the obvious, anyone......anyone.....?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

To get bleach in the system, use a funnel and pour the bleach into the hose you are using and the water will pay it into the camper and tank. Your are correct that you can't just gravity fill the tank, must have a pressurized source. Several have a second 12v pump to pump water in from a secondary tank.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
To get bleach in the system, use a funnel and pour the bleach into the hose you are using and the water will pay it into the camper and tank. Your are correct that you can't just gravity fill the tank, must have a pressurized source. Several have a second 12v pump to pump water in from a secondary tank.
X2 this is what I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424920374515.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	70283   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424920392907.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	70284   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424920413527.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	70285  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

If like my 29 RE it will not go thru filter. Have seen water hose filled bleach and then pumped in.

Once a guy made a hose to bleach jug and pushed thru connection. Don't know if it worked. He had white spots on his clothes and I enjoyed Johnny Walker and laughed with and at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #6

Two good suggestions above to get the bleach in, as far as the filter goes, I would remove the filter element and put the cover back on during this process then replace the cartridge (same one or new one) after sanitizing is completed.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #7

So if I get this right....
1 .putting the lever from city to gravity is what fills the holding tank?
2. the water passes through the filter housing on the way into the holding tank? 3 . If yes to both above then.. Can I put a bleach water mix in the filter housing and screw it back on to fill.
4. How do I know when the tank is full 54 gallon I believe?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
I must be missing something here how in the h€££ do I put fresh water in the holding tank? My 93 Teton had a cap I could pour water into. If it's not gravity fed do I turn the handle to gravity while hooked up to the hose already in place? If so how can I EASILY get bleach in to sanitize and will it go threw the filter on the way into the tank?
Attachment 70259
1) Yes, your fresh water fill is through the same connection as the city inlet, so you'll need to have a pressurized source.

2) To get bleach in, you'll still need a pressurized source of bleach. I carry one of these to refill my water tank when I'm in a pinch:

Self-Priming Drill Pump | Princess Auto

In theory, you should be able to use one of these to suck up the bleach instead of water. $10 for mine at Princess Auto but I hear you can get them for around $3 at Harbor Freight.

Alternatively, I've heard of people pouring the bleach into their hose, hooking it up and then turning the water on at the source. This will push the majority of the bleach in with the water.

3) The water filter is used as the water comes out from the fresh water tank, not going in. It would be nice if it did so you didn't have to worry about crud in the tank, but unfortunately I've never heard of any plumbed that way.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
I must be missing something here
Attachment 70259
You might be able to use your winterizing hose placed in a jug of bleached water and using your external shower hose attached to the gravity fill point selecting the valves appropriately and using your trailer pump to pump the solution into your potable water tank.
In our trailer doing this it goes thru the filter so I remove the filter when using this procedure!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #10

I see the valve to winterized but no hose and have been behind the panel to install the on demand water heater .
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Pour bleach in hose prior to turning water back on. Blue to gravity to get bleach and water in to fresh water tank. When overflow hose under rv begins to flow water your full.
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I see the valve to winterized but no hose and have been behind the panel to install the on demand water heater .
I would venture to guess that connection for a short hose would be directly behind the winterizing valve on the rear of the panel!! It might have a cap on it! More pics of the rear of the panel might help!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I would venture to guess that connection for a short hose would be directly behind the winterizing valve on the rear of the panel!! It might have a cap on it! More pics of the rear of the panel might help!
Have to wait for the rain to clear out then I can dig it out and look were full time so pass threw is full
Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

Cannot be you have winterizing valve and not have a pick up hose. Found mine by looking at the pump and going from it. Your is definitely got a lot more going on behind the panel than mine. Should be a hose that will not connect to anything. It's how I found mine. It runs the the wall and dead ends.

I did pump antifreeze into my FW tank my first time after five gallons I knew something was wrong. Cannot tell you how I did it.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Cannot be you have winterizing valve and not have a pick up hose. Found mine by looking at the pump and going from it. Your is definitely got a lot more going on behind the panel than mine. Should be a hose that will not connect to anything. It's how I found mine. It runs the the wall and dead ends.

I did pump antifreeze into my FW tank my first time after five gallons I knew something was wrong. Cannot tell you how I did it.

I was working next to it for the hot water heater swap and remember the back of the panel looked REALLY busy .... I didn't take the time to look into it as I needed to get the hot water running but it's relatively easy to get open once I clear the path.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:22 AM   #16

Views:	178
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	70538
The hoses on the left side of the picture second from the top (for some reason it's uploading the picture upside down) are the winterize valve hose the white one goes into the floor and somewhere into the undercarriage? So what function is it if it don't pull antifreeze into the system.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 AM   #17

Views:	190
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	70539
Front of the panel (right side up)
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 AM   #18

Views:	170
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	70542
Got it right side up now on the back panel but I still can't figure it out
Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #19

Try gently pulling the white hose that comes off winterizing valve. Bet it's just tucked in to "make it look neater".

Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Try gently pulling the white hose that comes off winterizing valve. Bet it's just tucked in to "make it look neater".

I tried that it comes out about an inch then is tight. Can't get my big head in far enough to see where it goes. If I can't figure it out then the bottoms coming off and will get insulation when it goes back up.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water