Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Fresh water holding tank question

I have a fr25dbs. I sanitized it when I first got it home. I drained it after flushing all lines than put new city water in. About 3rd if a tank. I don’t dry camp and use city water on site. What’s your thoughts on leaving fresh water tank with sanitize solution in tank. Get to campsite and flush lines with city water hook up. When I get home I’ll push already sanitized solution through line until I smell it than flush again with city water at campsite the next time out. I’m thinking this would make sanitizing lines and maintaining them clean a lot easier than reinstalling sanitize solution all the time.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

I suppose it depends on what the chemicals are in the sanitizing solution whether it could be left in the system or should be flushed. Just because it is a sanitizer, it does not mean it cannot breakdown and become a contaminate itself. Lacking personal experience with a product, I recommend following the manufactures directions. I have been camping with onboard fresh water tanks since the 60’s and never sanitized any fresh water tank or water line. Perhaps it might be wise if I did occasionally. However, I just drain it and refill the tank each time I go somewhere without flushing the lines other than to test stuff and make sure it is working. We have never had any sickness or illness in 50-years of doing it like that.

If the fresh water tank has sanitizer solution in it, it pretty much reduces its usefulness for other than toilet flushing or possibly hand washing. I sure wouldn’t drink the stuff. If only RV park or city water is ever used, and water line sanitation is critical, maybe install an ultraviolet water sanitation system to keep it from growing bacteria in the first place.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #3

My thoughts... for what my free advice is worth...

If you have a 1/3 full fresh water tank with 'sanitizing solution', you've got 2/3 tank of air. Most sanitizing solutions contain chlorine which dissipates in air within about 24 hours.

The question then is... are you really pushing sanitized water through the lines...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

I use the household bleach method 1/4 cup to 15 gallons.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Site Team

1. I don't see the need to sanitize every time you go out.
2. You don't mention water heater- are you going to drain it each time? Are you going to run the sanitizer thru the water heater?
3. Bleach can be hard on plastic and rubber. I would not want to leave a bleach solution in MY tank for an extended period.
My 2¢
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
1. I don't see the need to sanitize every time you go out.
2. You don't mention water heater- are you going to drain it each time? Are you going to run the sanitizer thru the water heater?
3. Bleach can be hard on plastic and rubber. I would not want to leave a bleach solution in MY tank for an extended period.
My 2¢
I agree, in 4 years, some of that full timing, and more recently in the last 12 months more of a 'use every now and then' scenario, we've NEVER applied chemicals to our water tank, and I've only fully drained the system once, last November when it sat thru some of the winter low temps.

I think there's a common belief that somehow water in your holding tank is going to 'go bad', but it's doubtful that it will - it's not sitting there for years, really only for months. I understand that others may be more worried than I am, but it's like the question of 'cleaning out your black tank', as some do every time they dump.... it's just not needed very often.

This upcoming winter, probably sometime late November, I'll drain all the water in the lines, via the low point drains, and the water heater... but will FILL the water tank, since a large mass of water does NOT easily freeze, and because you can never really get all of the water out of the tank anyway, so the little that is left is BOUND to freeze.

but that's just me.... 85,000 miles, thru several winters while on the road, and no issues...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Ham Call N8SAC

You have to remember that the city water that you put in the tank has chlorine in it. so you are putting fresh water with chlorine in every time you fill the tank. Not enough to shock the tank but enough keep the system fairly clean. I shock the system once a year when starting up in the spring. Then when I leave the campground I open the tank valve and let the tank drain on the way home. Fill just before leaving for campground that doesn’t have city hook ups. Have been doing this for 50 years .
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I have a fr25dbs. I sanitized it when I first got it home. I drained it after flushing all lines than put new city water in. About 3rd if a tank. I don’t dry camp and use city water on site. What’s your thoughts on leaving fresh water tank with sanitize solution in tank. Get to campsite and flush lines with city water hook up. When I get home I’ll push already sanitized solution through line until I smell it than flush again with city water at campsite the next time out. I’m thinking this would make sanitizing lines and maintaining them clean a lot easier than reinstalling sanitize solution all the time.
Ok. I just reread your post. You're overthinking this.

You should not have to sanitize your system more than once a year if you're going to campsites and using their city water. When you get to the campsite and hook up the water, just open the faucets to flush the system.

I'd suggest using an external water filter to filter out contaminants which are available at rv stores, Walmart or Amazon. That will help keep sand and stuff out of your water heater and faucet filters.

If you're worried about illness from city water, buy bottled water to drink. We do that when we're traveling the country.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Once a year at the start of our season; I'll drain all the water in the lines, via the low point drains and fill 1/2 full with bleach water, drive around for 20 miles then empty and flush, refill. Install new filters cartridges. I repeat every season. Never have a problem.
X2 on drinking bottled water. PS did you ever think you'd be buying water?!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #10

1/3 full?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I would not leave the tank 1/3 full. Why haul all that water around? And if the tank is forward (as it is on our traveling trailer), who wants that extra tongue weight?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone’s reply. I’m going to dump the bleach mix in there now and just maintain 1/4 tank fresh water from my home. Municipal water system. My concern was being in s FL and it gets hot down here.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

I have only used the bleach method once in four years, only because I was curious about it.

I always tow the trailer with some water in all tanks to allow the water to slosh around for cleaning purposes then dump when I arrive at locations which are usually full hook ups.

When returning my trailer to storage, I again have water in all tanks during the drive home. I park the trailer in the driveway for a few days while we clean it out before taking it back to the storage yard. At that time I dump the fresh water into the plants. I'll leave the grey and black intact until I get to the dump station at the storage yard. After parking, I open all the faucets and shower handles, remove the anode in the water heater and open the low point drains to allow the tanks to dry out as much as possible.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #13

I sanitize every Spring before we take our first trip,,, fiil FW tank with filtered soft water !
Drain tank after each trip,,, refill before next trip,,, drain system using my compressor in the Fall & weinterize !!! Been doing it that way for many years !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I think there's a common belief that somehow water in your holding tank is going to 'go bad', but it's doubtful that it will -
Au contraire mon frere - IF the water in question is well water, it can grow mold and bacteria in a matter of weeks in hot weather. Happened to me. If I leave water in the tank, I make sure it's municipal water. I've never had an issue with city water going bad.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #15

Sanitize ours once a year at the beginning of the season. After that all water going into the tank and through the system goes through a good quality water filter that is changed every 3 months of use. Just my 2 cents worth🌝
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I would not leave the tank 1/3 full. Why haul all that water around? And if the tank is forward (as it is on our traveling trailer), who wants that extra tongue weight?

Larry
For some of us, it's there for those "Daddy, how long until the next bathroom? I've gotta go right now!" moments.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #17

Exactly, Kaadk. It doesn't even need to be "Daddy." When you have to stop, you have to stop.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Exactly, Kaadk. It doesn't even need to be "Daddy." When you have to stop, you have to stop.
As some folks will learn as they age !!!

We carry a full tank of water that is filtered soft water from our well !!!
I add TastPure to it,,, I like knowing the quality of the water in our MH !!!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #19
Site Team

If you are curious as to what is going on in your FW tank. Fill a glass 1/2 full of water from the tank. Cover it and leave it sit in the sink of your RV until the next trip. Uncover it and then decide if you are OK with what is in you FW tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are curious as to what is going on in your FW tank. Fill a glass 1/2 full of water from the tank. Cover it and leave it sit in the sink of your RV until the next trip. Uncover it and then decide if you are OK with what is in you FW tank.
Great Idea !!!

Or just drain the tank after each trip !!!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water