Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Fresh water level

How are you guys (& Gals) telling when your fresh water tank is full. On the Jayco I just traded in the fresh water tank had an overflow tube. I just filled until it came out. No such tube on my Sabre 32 RCTS. So do you fill until the gauge reads full and than maybe another half minute or so? What happens if you over fill? Want to get max fill for those dry camping days.

Thank you

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

We had some discussions on that topic with our manufacturer (PrimeTime). Apparently it's fairly easy to rupture your FW tank if you're not careful.

The proper procedure is to just use the indicator lights. I think you do have a vent tube somewhere. What I did was to use the lights and then when those said it was full, I slowed the flow down to little more than a trickle and waited (a long time) to start "venting". Note that a kink in a vent hose could cause a real problem. You should find that vent and maker sure air is coming out of it during the fast-fill phase.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

Hmmm.... I just fill mine until it's full meaning water starts dribbling out of the filling port.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

I lift the bed and take a look. I like to verify the sensors.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

On my MH I would fill the tank until water came out the overflow. Not thinking I tried the same thing on our new unit that has a vent beside fill pipe. The 1st time everything was fine. The next fill could only get 1/3 tank before water coming out fill tube. What happened was the vent is located near the top of the tank. The hose going up to vent beside the fill unit dropped lower then where it attached to the tank thus filling it with water on the first fill.
What I did found the low point in the vent line cut it and installed a elbow. Now I fill the tank until I see water coming out the overflow. Not sure if its the proper fix but worked for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
How are you guys (& Gals) telling when your fresh water tank is full. On the Jayco I just traded in the fresh water tank had an overflow tube. I just filled until it came out. No such tube on my Sabre 32 RCTS. So do you fill until the gauge reads full and than maybe another half minute or so? What happens if you over fill? Want to get max fill for those dry camping days.

Thank you
If you run water into your sabre SLOWLY it will come out the fill tube when full.

Key word is SLOWLY.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

By sound, and the overflow vent. On most trailers, you can hear the difference in sound as the water nears the top of the tank. That's when I cut the flow rate, and wait for the tank to top off.

Badlands
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water