Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

fresh water pump wiring

The pump in my 2013 18FBRS stopped working. I removed it and tested on direct 12V supply, it runs, both directly to the motor and through the pressure switch, so that's probably not the issue. The inline fuse is OK, no fuses blown in the fuse panel (and none labeled pump anyway), and the switch "blue light" does light when turned on, so power at least to the switch. So I'm about to try to trace the wiring from switch to pump and try to find the break. Anybody know the route of the wire to give me a head start, and/or a most likely point of failure?
Thanks - Bill
wizardofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
llr

Do you have a voltmeter? if not you need to get one.

I would start with measuring the voltage across the 2 pump wires. then one pump wire at a time to a separate ground. it could be the power or it could be a ground and you don't know which wire to trace yet.

do you only have one switch for the pump? or are there more? is it a simple on/off toggle? or is it momentary, push on, push off?
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

I have a multimeter. Good reminder about ground. If it is in fact the 12V line from the switch, I guess I'll just start tracing through what I can find. Maybe most of is is accessible in a wiring harness from underneath??

Just one switch, on/off. Switch has pilot light which illuminates when pump is on.
wizardofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

My fresh water pump would not come on today either. I de winterized the Windjammer and gave it a much needed bath. Turned on the fresh water pump it did not cycle, it worked fine to winterize the trailer. The power light comes on but just does not activate the pump. Did not have time to even look for fuses. I will have to check it out later. Do they have inline fuses ??
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Last fall when I winterized my TT the pump did not turn on the first time, had to turn it on/off a couple times. My pump only gets used when I winterize.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Lightbulb

I went camping last week and had time to look at the pump. checked the wiring and switch they seemed fine. I put a few gallons of water in the fresh water tank, and turned on the pump. It came on and pumped water like it was supposed to. I remember it making more noise when initially turned on , but it was really quiet. Its rarely used except for winterizing. I guess its kinda like the older cars, you may have to TAP it gently to make it work. That's one system that needs to be exercised more to make sure it works. Thanks for the input, were working fine now.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
The power light comes on but just does not activate the pump.
That light just means you have power to the switch and to the terminal that the wire to the pump is attached to. Now one just has to determine that the power has a path to the pump and one to return to the battery (Neg/Ground).

I have found that ground connections, especially those that are connected to a common wire, are often the culprits. Either rusty/corroded connections to chassis or broken loose inside the giant crimped connectors holding half a dozen ground wires. Be sure and check the crimped connectors on single wires too. People in a hurry to finish wiring often don't check to see if it's done right.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, pump, water, water pump, wiring