Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Fresh Water Storage Question

Long Story short. I went to unload (Some)fresh water from the tank last night using pump into the Grey water tanks. So, I turn City water off. Turn camper pump on to do a gray water flush using my fresh water. All worked well. I fill fresh water tanks up(1/3) and empty both. No Problem. I then turned pump off, and then turned City water back on. When I got up this morning to check my tanks I saw the Fresher water tank was full. I'm going well it should be about 1/2 empty. Guess what I went out side and there was water overflowing out of the drain tube. So how did I fill up my fresh water tank without hooking up to fresh water connection and turning water hose on? Another mystery.

tim coltrain

Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how that can happen and I am dumbfounded. No city water hookup enters the fresh water tank unless you put the white hose into the fresh water fill. I know you are aware of that, I am just typing what's going through my head. It sounds like you put the hose in the tank fill and thought you hooked it to the city hookup? I'm guessing you would of realized that though. I'm curious to what possibly went wrong here.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
So how did I fill up my fresh water tank without hooking up to fresh water connection and turning water hose on? Another mystery.

tim coltrain
There should be a check valve on the inside-the-camper side of the water pump. Water could leak back past the water pump, into the tank, if the check valve is missing or defective.

Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Dave do you think that if the check valve is left open whatever flows back into the tank would fill it up? The water going back in would only be what is in the water lines which can't be much more then a gallon no? I'm asking for knowledge not trying to be a wise guy.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Follow Up

After emptying the Fresh Water tank I have been monitoring to see if it was filling back up. Answer No. That being said I must have created a back flow effect when I went from City water off to Pump on to pump off to City back on. That's the only thing I can come up with so far. I just checked the Fresh water tank after emptying and only a few drops came out.

Tim Coltrain
Staying confused
Old 09-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

More then likely, the check valve on water pump stuck open. When you turned the city water back on, it went past the check valve, and into the fresh water tank.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

My best guess is back feeding through the water pump
I've read on other threads that this can happen if pump is in just the right (wrong) spot in its cycle when shut off.
Try turning pump on then off
NavigatorC130A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
Dave do you think that if the check valve is left open whatever flows back into the tank would fill it up? The water going back in would only be what is in the water lines which can't be much more then a gallon no? I'm asking for knowledge not trying to be a wise guy.
I think the OP was hooked up to city water - so there was positive water pressure (and available flow) on the inside-the-rv side of the pump.

Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

So far no more problem.

thanks for help though. This is our third trip on this new camper. I'm still learning.

Tim
Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

This topic comes up a lot here and there have been many, many examples of the same thing happening. Your symptom/problem is not unique.

The on-board water pump has a check valve built into it (for this very reason) to keep the city water from back filling the fresh water tank when connected to city water.

Sometimes, when using the on-board pump, debris or dirt can lodge in the check valve holding it partially open. When the pump is shut off and water supply is reverted back to the city water, it will flow back through the stuck opened check valve and fill the tank.

This scenario can also happen if you happen to run the pump while on city water where the city water pressure is much greater than the water pump's output pressure. When you turn on the pump, it will force open the check valve but the city water's greater pressure and flow will force water back into the fresh tank, through the now-opened check valve once the pump is shut off.

Usually to cure, all you need to do is turn off the city water supply, crack open a faucet to relieve pressure, close the faucet, turn on the water pump, re-open/close a faucet a few times and allow the pump to cycle to rid the check valve of any debris. Turn off the pump, crack the faucet to relieve pressure again, close the faucet and turn city water supply back on.

Sometimes the valve can not clear itself on its own and disassembly of the pump (or replacement) is required.

Many folks have installed an in-line check valve near the pump outlet to cure the problem as well.

This complaint is one reason I never leave my rig for more than a few hours without shutting off the city water supply. And, if I am going to be hooked to city water for long periods of time, I will open my fresh water drain valve so if the check valve fails, it won't over fill the tank and bulge it or blow the drain line off.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, storage, water