Old 10-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

Ok I have a 66 gal. fresh water tank in my 2012 Coachmen Mirada 32ds. My question is why when I fill up the tank tell it starts to come out the over flow line. I stop filling it up it continues to drain the tank until it is 2/3 full. This is a new to me rig I took it back to the dealer that I purchased from under the 60 day warranty. Had them look at it and was told that it is fine and that is how the it was built and there was nothing they can do about it. So now I am on my own and it just bugs the heck out of me. It is time for us to start our dry camping season with the dirt toys. I would like to be able to hold all the water that the rig was built for.

Thanks for the help
Jon

Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Fill it until it stops overflowing than keep emptying it into a 5 gallon bucket to see how much you really hold. At least start there....

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

It may be that that once you fill it up and it stops overflowing (back to 2/3) you will need to fill that last third slowly. It might be that the tank is not allowing all the air to escape durning normal filling. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Head Rambler

First, are you actually looking at the level in the tank, or are you going by the indicator?
The indicator can be very misleading about the level.

If you're going by the physical level in the tank, it could be that the overflow is siphoning the water out until it breaks suction. You may be able to rework the overflow so that it doesn't siphon the water out. You could also put a valve on the overflow and shut it off as soon as the tank is full. However, be VERY careful using that valve because you can rupture the tank if you leave the valve closed and then fill the tank.

You can also starve the pump of water if you don't open it and you run the pump for a while.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Fill it until it stops overflowing than keep emptying it into a 5 gallon bucket to see how much you really hold. At least start there....
The wife and I were talking about doing that to see what we have.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
First, are you actually looking at the level in the tank, or are you going by the indicator?
The indicator can be very misleading about the level.
Yes to both. I removed the cover so I can see the tank. It looks like I have two vent lines one on both sides of the tank. I have seen the water come out of ether line not at the same time.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Head Rambler

Maybe one is a vent and one is an overflow.

Do they both route the same way (up or down)?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Maybe one is a vent and one is an overflow.

Do they both route the same way (up or down)?
Both lines come from top of tank one driver side and one pass side. They do a 90 from the top over about 6" then 90 and down and out under the rig.

I have been doing some more research on the forum. It looks like some people have said that the vent/overflow hose is too far in the tank and causing it to siphon the water out. Now this has been on different rigs maybe that could be the problem. I would have to find out what it takes to remove the hose and then reinstall new clips on the lines.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
Head Rambler

The overflow should ideally be flush with the top of the tank and not protrude into the tank, but that's not the case in most installations. You may be able to pull the lines up a little and reseal them.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

I had a gravity fill the was lower than the top of the tank. I re-piped my fresh water fill to work with the city fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank