Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Fresh water tank

We have a 2014 327 RES 2014 Salem Hemisphere we purchased 12/13. First trip to Nascar I had filled tank at storage unit ( 44 gal ???). Ran out first day with out even using shower. Filled it up 2 more times total 132 gallons for weekend and grey / black tanks not even full. Grey holds 62 and black 30 per owners manual (Total 92 gals). With my calculations we are not getting 44 gallons in the fresh tank!!!! It has been at dealers for 3 weeks. They called a week ago and said could not find an issue. They are looking into it as we told them there was an issue.

Any thoughts!!!

Rick in Texas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hemisphere 11-13.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	58176  

mvpwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Can you visibly see the FW tank is full or are you just going by the sensors?
If you are filling until it starts to back flow there could be a kink in the vent line keeping the tank from filling fully.

2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
No I can not see if it is full. No back flow just coming out over flow under rv. I told the dealer to do a more in depth investigation...
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Team
I've had issues with my FW tanking coming out the overflow well before it's actually full. Eventually I learned I was trying to fill it with too much pressure, causing a siphon in the overflow tube. I now use one these:

Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve - Camco 40003 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

With the valve I can cut the pressure and let the tank fill the entire way. Before at full pressure I was only getting maybe 1/3 of my FW.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Water tank

Just ran into a similar situation with a fellow camper. When you said overflow line, that was his problem, it would siphon the water out of the tank and he'd lose most of his on a long run. I'd start there and plug it if need be. If venting is a worry, just leave the cap loose when you get there.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Team
Oh, and another thing just occurred to me as well. I'm pretty sure you've checked this, but just to be certain, is the FW drain closed? Mine was partially open the first time I filled and I was losing water until I realized there was a slow dribble coming from the drain.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
It could be completely full but depending on how the pump suction line is installed that could be the issue. Many of them simply have a bung at the bottom of the tank but if they installed a line from the top then it might not be reaching the bottom or could be cracked partway up from the bottom allowing the pump to suck air and lose prime.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Dealer had RV for almost 2 months checking capacity of freash water tank. at first said could see no problem. We were not happy with that. He filled tank which owners manual states 44 gal and after he drained it only 26 came out. Also 6 gals would not drain. Tank total of 32 gals not 44 as stated. Dealership could not resolve with manufacturer and ask us to get involved!!! Solution from them was to get a portable tank and fill as needed with pump. We sent email to salesman at dealer 9/9 and ask to have a meeting with him and owner to resolve. No answer as of today. Manufacturer had plant foreman investigate tank volume on RV's on line and it is a 32 gallon tank. Really do not know what to do!!!! Only issue is dry camping at Nascar. Thoughts!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Team
How much water does your water heater hold? It's not unheard of for the published fresh water capacity to include the capacity of the water heater... and it certainly doesn't drain out when one drains the fresh water tank.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
If your tank total is 32 gal. maybe the Mfg. is subtracting the capaity of the HW tank from the FW tank capacity.

If you have a 6 gal. HW tank....32-6=26gal. ?

Just throwing it out there...

Bill, Maura & Rosie the rescued Boston Terrier
2016 Winnegbago Adventurer 38Q
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member & FMCA #455593
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, water, water tank